Playing With: Suckiness Is Painful
Basic Trope: Bad media is treated as traumatizing or even physically injuring.
Back to Suckiness Is P- UGH!
- Straight: Tropers: The Movie causes Alice psychological pain when she sees it.
- Downplayed: Alice is disgusted by the movie to the point of vomiting, but not actually physically injured.
- Alice's sensation of illness has been unintentionally triggered by a subconscious Pavlovian response, as the images in the movie instinctively remind her of a traumatic event.
- Tropers contain scenes that are just plain icky.
- Tropers was cursed.
- Or the viewers were cursed to feel sick or pain when they watch a bad movie.
- Tropers is such a great movie that it cures Alice's illness.
- Tropers is such a great movie it causes anyone who views it to have a spontaneous orgasm.
- A more downplayed inversion: Tropers is so good a movie, it makes the viewers feel like they're getting a massage.
- Tropers is so awesome, people who watch it hear a thousand angels singing.
- It wasn't the movie - the theater was filling with poisonous gas from a terrorist plot.
- Alternatively: The pain is in Alice's stomach, because the movie is so unintentionally hilarious that she's nearly died laughing.
- Double Subverted: Actually, the gas was an accident. The movie, swapped with a decent one, was the terrorists' actual weapon.
- Alice is so traumatized that she becomes a gibbering wreck whenever anyone even says the word "movie", much to her friends' confusion.
- Masochists like the movie.
- Tropers is threatened to be used as torture, making anybody who hears the threat surrender.
- Zig Zagged: Tropers causes Alice to fluctuate between extreme psychological pain and extreme psychological pleasure.
- Averted: Tropers merely depresses Alice briefly before she forgets about it.
- The author includes Tropers which is actually a parody of another horrible work.
- Or Tropers is that horrible piece of work.
- Lampshaded: Hey! You in the audience! Are you feeling it yet? Well, you will be - from now on this shall be a musical!
- Invoked: Weapons designers hired Uwe Boll to create a Mind Rape device in the form of a movie.
- Exploited: A villain steals a copy of Tropers and broadcasts it around the world to Mind Rape mankind.
- Defied: Alice takes an aspirin before watching Tropers.
- Discussed: "Wouldn't that movie cause people inside it to turn into a sea of vomit?"
- Conversed: "Ah, movies. Useful as instruments of torture."
- Tropers was created by the government as a weapon of torture. It's a double-edged sword - the cast and crew all suffered physical and psychological harm by making it.
- Alice's extreme reaction is a sign of some mental health problem. After all, it's just a movie.
- Reconstructed: Tropers was created by beings with very different concepts of what makes a good movie, who can therefore watch it safely. They just hadn't considered its effect on humans.
Back to Suckiness Is P- UGH!