Playing With: Reincarnation Romance
: Two characters who were lovers in a previous life meet again and fall in love.
- Straight: Susan and Sam are Star-Crossed Lovers who can’t be together due to the war between their countries. They commit double suicide to be Together in Death, but instead they are reborn and reunited in a future lifetime.
- Exaggerated: Susan Sam are in a group marriage with Lucy, Jack and Ichigo. They meet and fall in love in every one of their reincarnations.
- Downplayed: Susan and Sam were friends before they died and they continue this friendship after they are reborned.
- The gods decide that Susan and Sam deserve a second chance. They send their souls back to Earth and arrange for them to be reborn close to one another, so they can meet again and fall in love.
- Sam and Susan are reborn with all of their old memories, so they are still in love, actively seeking each other out.
- Inverted: Susan and Sam are worst enemies and continue their enmity every time they're reincarnated.
- Subverted: Susan only thinks she was Sam’s lover in her previous life. They were actually siblings.
- Double Subverted:
- Susan and Sam were Not Blood Siblings but they bond over time spent together and end up Happily Married.
- Alternately, Susan and Sam were brother and sister, but they didn’t care and started a relationship anyway.
- Parodied: A fortune teller tells Sam about his tragic love story in a previous life, but promises him an epic romance in this one with the same person. He is excited to meet his destined lover only to become terribly embarrassed, when it turns out Susan reincarnated as his high school buddy, he did skirt-chasing with.
- Zig Zagged: Susan and Sam thought they were reincarnated lovers, but they were actually siblings. They were Not Blood Siblings, though, and were in love, so they start a relationship...but nope, Susan isn't really Sam's reincarnated lover, she's just an Identical Stranger. But Sam isn't the reincarnation of who he thought he was; he's actually the son of the reincarnation of his clone...and was in love with Susan in his past life! But then Susan turns out to be an Artificial Human...
- Averted: Susan and Sam were never lovers, in this life or any other.
- Enforced: “We need to add some tragedy to our romance and show how much these two are destined for each other. Let's reincarnate them and have them be Star-Crossed Lovers in the next life too.
- Lampshaded: “So we are reincarnated lovers? No wonder we jumped at each other so fast. A few hundred years of separation tends to do this to people."
- Invoked: Susan and Sam want to be reunited in their future life so they go through a special soul-bonding ritual.
- Exploited: Sam can't live without Susan, so after she dies, he kills himself so he can see her again after being reincarnated.
- Defied: Susan knows she and Sam were lovers in the previous life, but she decides to be with her childhood friend Charlie instead.
- Discussed: “Isn’t it surprising how well these two seem to know each other, even though they've been talking for just five minutes? Maybe they had meet in the previous life.”
- Conversed: “I can bet they are going to make Susan and Sam reincarnated lovers. It’s an only explanation for these strange dreams and flashbacks. “
- Susan comes back many years after Sam is reborn. When they finally meet there is a big age difference between them and society is not going to accept the relationship. They end up as Star-Crossed Lovers again as a result.
- Sam is already married to Stacy when he meets Susan again. Through he does love her back, feelings he had for his wife are still there. It leads to a situation in which Sam is torn between two women he loves. Stacy is angry and confused over her husband suddenly leaving her for an unknown woman and Susan desperately tries to keep Sam at her side. It all ends up in another tragedy.
- Susan and Sam wait for each other but they never meet, as they were born on opposite sides of the world.
- Reborn!Susan retains her love for reborn!Sam's previous incarnation and vice versa, but their current incarnations feel nothing for each other. They start a relationship in order to be closer to each other's past selves but are thoroughly miserable.
- Susan and Sam decide to reject social norms and get married anyway. In the next life they somehow make sure to be reborn at the same time and live Happily Ever After.
- After some Character Development and bonding moments Susan and Stacy work out their problems. They agree to share Sam between themselves. For some reason Stacy is reincarnated to continue their triangular relationship in another life.
- Susan and Sam, guided by the Power of Love, finally find each other.
- Eventually, Susan and Sam come to love each other for real.
Back to Reincarnation Romance