: A character has little or no reaction to a major injury.
- Straight: Bob gets his arm cut off, but shrugs it off as Just A Flesh Wound.
- Downplayed: Bob gets a nasty slash across his chest but only whimpers a little.
- Bob is immortal or is very resistant to pain.
- Bob has a Healing Factor of some sort.
- Bob is running on a huge amount of adrenaline.
- Bob is in shock.
- Bob was wounded on a cybernetic limb that doesn't transmit pain.
- Inverted: Minor Injury Overreaction
- Subverted: Bob gets his arm cut off and he starts screaming in pain when he notices it.
- Double Subverted: But that was only to fake his enemy out. He doesn't seem to suffer any lasting effects from the limb removal.
- Parodied: Bob is perfectly okay with the spear sticking through his chest, but starts crying for mommy when he stubs his toe.
- Zig Zagged:
- The effect pain has on Bob varies form episode to episode, and also how angry he currently is.
- Bob shrugs off a tactical nuclear strike, then passes out because he broke a nail.
- Averted: Bob has a reasonable pain threshhold.
- Enforced: He’s a video game character in a console- system that does not have the data-space to track individual wounds and react appropriately.
- Lampshaded: "Y'know, you don't seem to be bothered by the entire "I-just-tore-your-freaking-arms-off" thing."
- Invoked: Bob uses his seeming inablity to feel pain to unnerve his foes.
- Exploited: Alice defeats bob by using an infected blade: because he seems uneffected by his wounds,so he won't think to see a doctor about the lethal infection until it's far too late
- Discussed: "...Think we should tell bob about the axe in his head?" "Nah. let him figure it out."
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob gets his arm cut off, but shrugs it off. He bleeds to death.
Back to Major Injury Underreaction