- Straight: After telling Alice to "Hit the road", Alice goes out and punches the road.
- Exaggerated: Telling Alice to go to hell will cause the gates to hell to open, and a giant black hand will spring from it, pulling her in.
- Downplayed: After telling Alice "throw that away" she tosses something at a trash can instead of putting it in.
- Justified: Alice is a robot, and her AI is not programmed with figures of speech.
- Alice tells Bob to go punch the road, and Bob just leaves.
- Metaphorically Minded! As in:
- Subverted: Alice is told to hit the road; she looks like she's going to hit it, but she just leaves.
- Double Subverted: However, when she's told to go fly a kite, she does so.
- Parodied: In a short time frame she "hits the road", "goes kite flying", "chases a wild goose", "shoots a fish in a barrel" and "puts an elephant in the living room".
- Zig Zagged:"Hit the road Alice": Alice punches the road. "Go fly a kite" Alice "OK so I made a mistake". "Alice could not hit the broad side of a barn" Alice shoots a barn,
- Averted: Despite the cast using many ideas nobody ever takes them literally.
- Enforced: We need people to know Alice is a robot. Let's have her punch roads
- Lampshaded: "Um, OK, but I don't see what I'm accomplishing by doing this..." *punch*
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice downloads a software patch to help her understand figures of speech.
Bob: "You got to stop punching roads Alice"
Alice: "Then stop telling me to."
- Conversed: ???
- Played For Laughs:
Bob: "Well I will be a monkey's uncle."
- Bob and Alice have the next exchange...
Alice: "You should talk to your brother about his taste in women."
Bob: "Ha ha ha ha ha! Alice you're killing me."
- Or, for a Black Comedy twist:
Alice: "No, I'm not... But, if you say so." *picks up an Axe*
- Played For Drama: Alice is nearly hit by a car while she is hitting the road.
- Implied: Alice and Bob are at a bar, and Bob asks for a Dry Martini. Alice stares at the drink in confusion, surprised that it is a liquid.
Back to Literal-Minded