'''Basic Trope''': Someone has a tendency to take things literally.
* '''Straight''': After telling Alice to "Hit the road", Alice goes out and punches the road.
* '''Exaggerated''': Telling Alice to go to hell will cause the gates to hell to open, and a giant black hand will spring from it, pulling her in.
* '''Downplayed''': After telling Alice "throw that away" she tosses something at a trash can instead of putting it in.
** Alice is a robot, and her AI is not programmed with figures of speech.
** Alice is TheDitz.
** Alice is an alien.
** Alice tells Bob to go punch the road, and Bob just leaves.
** Alice tells Bob to hit the road, and [[MindScrew the road hits Bob.]]
** Bob tries to tell Alice that cats and dogs are ''literally'' falling from the sky, and she acts as if it were regular rain.
** Alice is metaphorically minded, as in:
--> [[WesternAnimation/RegularShow "Um... That taxi's yellow."\\
"My taxi is not a coward!"]]
* '''Subverted''': Alice is told to hit the road; she looks like she's going to hit it, but she just leaves.
* '''Double Subverted''': However, when she's told to go fly a kite, she does so.
* '''Parodied''': In a short time frame she "hits the road", "goes kite flying", "chases a wild goose", "shoots a fish in a barrel" and "puts an elephant in the living room".
* '''Zig Zagged''': When Alice is asked to "hit the road", she just walks away. When she is asked to "go fly a kite", she buys a kite and flies it. When someone says "Alice could not hit the broad side of a barn", she punches the barn. She, ''somehow'', misses.
* '''Averted''': Despite the cast using many ideas nobody ever takes them literally.
* '''Enforced''': We need people to know Alice is a robot. Let's have her punch roads when asked to hit the road.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Um, OK, but I don't see what I'm accomplishing by doing this..." ''*punch*''
* '''Invoked''': ???
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': Alice downloads a software patch to help her understand figures of speech. [[note]] This would only work if she was, indeed, a robot. [[/note]]
--> '''Bob''': "You have got to stop punching roads, Alice."\\
'''Alice''': "Then stop telling me to."
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice's literal mindedness annoys others, preventing her from socializing with potential friends. This results in her becoming lonely and eventually committing suicide. [[ArsonMurderAndJaywalking Not to mention her fist hurts.]]
* '''Implied''': Alice and Bob are at a bar, and Bob asks for a Dry Martini. Alice stares at the drink in confusion, surprised that it is a liquid.
* '''Played For Laughs''':
** Bob and Alice have the next exchange...
--> '''Bob''': "Well I will be a monkey's uncle." \\
'''Alice''': "You should talk to your brother about his taste in women."
** "You crack me up." "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry."
* '''Played For Drama''': Alice is nearly hit by a car while she is hitting the road.
Back to LiteralMinded
%% Optional items, added after Deconstructed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???