: Sex is a necessary evil
for the purposes of baby-making, or perhaps ensuring your spouse's fidelity by fulfilling their
needs, not something to be enjoyed.
- Straight: Alice has sex with her husband, Bob, but really only for purposes of giving him the son he's always wanted.
- Exaggerated: Alice has never had consensual sex with her husband, Bob, let alone enjoyed it.
- Downplayed: ???
- Inverted: Alice enjoys sex as much as Bob does, and sees it as something to be enjoyed for its own sake, rather than as a means to an end.
- Alice is having sex with Bob, and seems to be enjoying it.
- Alice and Bob's religion does say that they are allowed to enjoy the pleasurable aspects of sex within their marriage.
- Alice and Bob are trying to make a baby, but they seem to enjoy doing so.
- Bob is thinking about something not related to sex, so as to keep himself from finishing before Alice is satisfied.
- Double Subverted:
- She faked the orgasm so Bob would be satisfied.
- But it also says they are not to use any sort of birth control (save for the rhythm-method), because the act is first-and-foremost meant to bring new life into the world.
- Until the Law of Inverse Fertility kicks in and leads to frustration.
- It works...too well. Bob ends up being both physically and psychologically unable to continue.
- Parodied: Alice literally thinks of England: Big Ben, the British flag, Benedict Cumberbatch...
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Enforced: Values Dissonance.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Alice isn't in the mood one night, but Bob is feeling really horny.
- Alice and Bob are trying to have a baby, but they are becoming frustrated.
- Exploited: ???
- Alice says no, and Bob is OK with that. He reassures her he still loves her and they just go to bed.
- They decide to use the time to explore new positions or techniques, role-play, etc., rather than focus on their ultimate goal of reproducing.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Reconstructed: Alice and Bob work on their communication skills, and Bob learns to make sure Alice's sexual needs are met. The sex and the relationship improves.
- Played For Drama: Alice and Bob's marriage is crappy, to the point of being outright abusive. Bonus points if the Marital Rape License is "invoked" by Bob.
Back to Lie Back and Think of England