Playing With: Lean and Mean
: An evil character is very thin.
- Straight: Evil Overlord Smith is one of the skinnier characters on the show.
- Exaggerated: Overlord Smith is so thin that he should be dead of starvation, but he doesn't seem to suffer from it.
- Downplayed: Overlord Smith isn't unusually skinny, but he's fairly toned and slender.
- Justified: Overlord Smith is wary of poisoning from his enemies, and so refuses to eat large amounts.
- Overlord Smith was thin in his first appearance, but it turns out he'd just been through a long and difficult journey where food was scarce. Soon, he returns to a normal weight.
- Smith turns out to not be as villainous as first thought, and is at worse an Anti-Hero...
- Smith is wearing a girdle.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Overlord Smith is drawn as a stick figure among the otherwise normal cast.
- Zig Zagged: Overlord Smith's weight seems to be different every time he shows up.
- Averted: Overlord Smith has an average weight.
- They wanted a Villainous Glutton character, but obesity campaigners protested.
- For exaggerated: they wanted to give him a skeletal look to make him look extra creepy.
- Lampshaded: "Wow, does the Evil Overlord ever eat?"
- Invoked: After his rise to power, Overlord Smith makes sure to eat less to gain that proper evil look.
- Exploited: The Big Guy easily Neck Lifts Overlord Smith.
- Defied: Even though he's now an Evil Overlord, Smith knows it's healthiest to mantain a healthy weight, and makes sure to do so.
- Discussed: "You're the Evil Chancellor? Huh. I was expecting someone skinnier."
- Conversed: "Yes, I'm skinny. No, that doesn't make me a bad person- what is this, a movie?"
- Deconstructed: Overlord Smith spends so long obsessing over his evil scheme that he never eats; his health is affected dramatically and he begins to suffer from Sanity Slippage.
- Overlord Smith realizes that failing health will not help him accomplish World Domination, so he adopts healthy eating habits.
- Being a beanpole is just Overlord Smith's natural build. He eats well, but his metabolism burns everything it gets.
- Played For Laughs: Overlord Smith's Jewish Mother lives with him, and interrupts a dramatic confrontation with the protagonists to nudzh him to eat some noodle kugel, claiming she can see daylight through him. "So you weren't going to let me meet your new friends? They can have some too."
Back to Lean and Mean
. And what, can't you eat something every now and again?