Playing With: Infernal Paradise
: Heaven is geared towards a particular niche group; anyone not
part of that group would find it bizarre
, or just plain crappy
- Straight: Seamus O'Taku gets to Heaven and finds that it's an eternal anime convention, much to his delight. Meanwhile, Bob, who never had any particular interest in anime or otaku subculture is unhappy.
- Exaggerated: Seamus O'Taku gets to heaven and finds that it's an eternal anime convention, much to his delight. Furthermore, the divine banquet is a near-endless table with every type of sushi in existence. J-pop music is also an integral part of God's eternal playlist. Seamus is definitely enjoying himself because he loves all these things. Meanwhile, Bob, who also went to heaven, hates anime, is allergic to sushi, and has said that j-pop is his least favorite music genre.
- Heaven's OK, it's just not as great as Bob had hoped.
- Bob kind of likes anime, but an anime convention isn't exactly where he'd have wanted to spend eternity. Oh, well.
- Apparently, God is an otaku.
- Everyone goes to the same afterlife, but there's an element of punishment for misdeeds committed on Earth; apparently, Bob didn't get away with teasing Seamus about being an anime fan back in high school.
- Everyone gets Heaven based around their particular vision of it.
- Seamus O'Taku gets to Heaven, and does not find that it's centered around anime... Or any other Geek culture, for that matter.
- Alternatively, Seamus is happy for awhile, but then somehow becomes bored or disillusioned.
- Bob is dissatisfied with it - until Carol points out the sign post of other areas. He promptly heads to the tropical paradise one instead.
- Double Subverted: But he does hang around with other anime fans (some he might have even been friends with on Earth), and they spend all their time talking about it. So it almost is like an eternal anime convention.
- Parodied: Bob requests to go to Hell instead, and his request is granted... But then he finds that Hell is populated with people even more annoying and obnoxious than hardcore anime fans and Occidental Otaku.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- "Our religious dogma states that Heaven is this way, and that's supposed to make everyone happy!"
- In some atheist works, it can be used to argue that even if Heaven existed and was as advertised, it would be a bad place and Christianity would still be bad. May be tied with a God Is Evil argument.
- Lampshaded: "Do they seriously expect me to enjoy spending all eternity at an anime convention?! I'd rather be in Hell!"
- Invoked: Heaven responds to the desires of its inhabitants - thus niche areas end up forming.
- Exploited: Because of Heaven's polarizing nature, Satan has an easy time convincing unhappy souls to defect to his realm with promises of pleasure, freedom and power... Whether they are true, or not.
- Defied: After finding out that a lot of souls aren't happy with their existence in Heaven, God restructures it to do its best to accommodate its eternal guests, and their varying ideas of happiness, joy, and pleasure.
- Discussed: "I wonder what Heaven would be like if it were an eternal anime convention?"
- Conversed: "Come on, Seamus. Would you really want to spend all eternity with people who didn't like anime whining about how it's everywhere? Also, the universe doesn't revolve around you!"
- Deconstructed: This particular Heaven is one of those Love It or Hate It kind of things; those not part of the culture/subculture/faith/ideology that Heaven is geared to will likely feel alienated and unhappy.
- Played For Laughs: Hell of a Heaven
- Played For Drama: This is someone's religious dogma, and therefore (at least to them) Serious Business.
Back to Infernal Paradise