Playing With: Genocide Backfire
: They were supposed to all have been killed off, but one got away
- Straight: Emperor Gluteus Maximus III has been ruling quite happily over The Empire of Ancient Grome, but one day, his high priest comes to him with news that a powerful leader from Tropestan will overthrow him. Gluteus orders all people from Tropestan to be killed; but, Bob manages to survive... and fulfills the prophecy later.
- Exaggerated: Emperor Gluteus Maximus III has Tropestan carpet-bombed, reducing the entire nation to scorched earth; then, it turns out that an entire Ragtag Bunch of Misfits survived the destruction, and the Emperor has given them all a reason to be very angry with him.
- Downplayed: Emperor Gluteus Maximus wages war on Tropestan, and many people die, but the prophesied leader is already on his way to Ancient Grome...
- Justified: There's very often at least one Guile Hero who manages to save someone in these instances... and then Laser-Guided Karma takes care of the rest.
- Inverted: Emperor Gluteus Maximus III sends his armies to kill everyone in Tropestan, but they all escape except for one.
- Subverted: Gluteus is sure his armies have destroyed everyone...
- Double Subverted: but he didn't account for a trader who was away at the time of the siege, or a small child who remained well-hidden... or even his favorite wife.
- Parodied: The survivor is Tropey the Wonder Dog, and The Dog Bites Back... literally.
- Zig Zagged: Nobody survived the massacre. However that is only the beginning of the problems as they rise again to destroy Gluteus. Except they're defeated due to proper anti-undead measures. However word gets out what Gluteus did and an uprising forms to destroy him. However he crushes it. But it turns out that the last Tropestan was in stasis. He awakens and regroups the scattered rebels to destroy Gluteus once and for all.
- Enforced: Rule of Drama
- Lampshaded: "I thought I killed all of you!"
- Invoked: Bob's mother hides him in the wilderness.
- Exploited: ???
- Emperor Gluteus Maximus III decides that killing thousands of innocent people is wrong... not to mention a big loss in terms of their taxes and tribute, and may lead to a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy, so he figures that if one of the Tropestanis does stage a coup or something, he'll deal with those individuals then, but isn't going to destroy an entire nation.
- The soldiers double and triple check every single last one of the huts and houses in Tropestan, the wilderness areas surrounding it, etc, to be sure that no one survives.
- Discussed: "Oh my God, did you hear about what Emperor Gluteus Maximus III did to Tropestan?" "Yeah... they said there were no survivors, but maybe a few got away." "Like in the movies?"
- Conversed: ???
- The person(s) whose people were all killed off may very well want revenge, even if Gluteus Maximus III is no longer alive.
- Alternatively: The prophecy was invented as part of an Evil Plan by the Evil Chancellor in order to both kill off the hated Tropestanians and remove the obstacle in his way to power in a way that no one would suspect him.
- Gluteus Minimus (his son) has ascended the throne, and feels horrible about what his father did. So he makes a formal apology, and enacts laws that ensure that those who did survive are treated better in the future.
- Of course, their revenge will also affect the chancellor's ambitions.
Now go back to Genocide Backfire
, and pray to Crystal Dragon Jesus
that there's no one left.