Playing With: Friendly Enemy
Basic Trope: Both the vilain and the hero are friendly towards one another and share a code of honor.
Back to Friendly Enemy.
- Straight: Alice Virtuous foils Davina Vile's plans, yet they have friendly chats and don't attempt to sneak up on each other.
- Exaggerated: Alice is The Hero and Davina is The Dragon; they go to the movies together, share brainstorming session for problem-solving, tell jokes to each other, play video games, and so on.
- Alice and Davina are often at cross purposes, and this often harms their friendship, but at the end of the day they stay in touch with one another.
- Friendly Rivalry (same friendship, less enmity.)
- Subverted: Alice and Davina's friendship is only an act. Either one or both is trying to get information or covertly destroy another.
- Double Subverted: ... Or so they would have their allies believe.
- Parodied: Alice and David become such good friends that they sing, dance, drink, eat, and live together. David insists that it's to spy on her, and Alice insists that it's to keep him under control, and they often hit each other with sticks. Then it moves from there, and Hilarity Ensues.
- Zig Zagged: Alice and Davina shift from best friends to worst enemies and everything in between.
- Averted: Davina and Alice hate each other. The idea of being friendly to one another disgusts them.
- Enforced: Due to popularity ratings, the executives force the writer of the work to make Davina move towards good so Alice has less reason to kill her and end the show. To show that the writer did not want to do this, he retools the relationship into one of these.
- Lampshaded: During a battle (and after Davina tells a joke that they both enjoy), Alice asks, "Hey, if we're enemies, why exactly are we acting like best friends?" Davina answers by saying that, even if they are enemies, there's no point in being rude or hateful about it.
Davina (as the cops tow her to jail): "You were good. So will you come play crosswords with me in prison?"Alice: "I said I would and I will."
- Exploited: Davina's partner-in-evil, Duchess, notices her weakness in Alice and uses it against Davina.
- Defied: "I have no interes in spending time with her, she's a total bitch and I hate her guts!"
- Discussed: "I respect her because she's the only one who can pose a worthy challenge."
- Conversed: "Long-time enemies can eventually become friends of sorts. Not REAL friends but good sports."
Back to Friendly Enemy.