Playing With: Conveniently an Orphan
Basic Trope: A person is an orphan so that they don't have to deal with responsibilities that come with family.
Back to Conveniently an Orphan
- Straight: Bob is orphaned, allowing him to leave home to collect the power crystals without having to deal with family.
- Both of Bob's parents died the moment he was born, and Bob was raised by wolves which also pass away, allowing him to do whatever he wants throughout his entire life without familial responsibilities.
- Both of Bob's parents died years before he was born and his adoptive parents die when he's 5.
- Bob loses his entire family as soon as he's born.
- Downplayed: Bob's parents are Put on a Bus or made useless. They're still alive but unable to truly interfere in Bob's adventures.
- Justified: This is Crapsack World, Bob lost his father in war. And his mother was kidnapped when group of bandits raid his poor village.
- Bob's parents are still alive, and he can't go on an adventure to collect the power crystals because his parent's say he can't.
- Bob's parents are still alive, and the only reason he can go on an adventure is because they raised him to be the hero. If they'd died at any time before the quest, he could never succeed.
- Bob's parents are still alive, but they are abusive parents who never care about him. So Bob going for adventure, promise them that he will bring back some money.
- Alice is an orphan. The Hero adopt her and take her on adventuring.
- Double Subverted:
- His parents are killed off shortly afterward, allowing him to go on his adventure without return.
- Not so long after Alice was adopted, The Hero is killed and Alice continue her adventure.
- Parodied: Everyone is an orphan. Everyone in town? They're orphans. The Big Bad? Orphan. The protagonist and his friends? Orphans.
- Zig Zagged: Bob has been led to believe his parents have been killed, and goes on an adventure to avenge them. During the course of his adventure, he discovers one or both of his parents alive and well and suspends his quest for vengeance. Shortly thereafter, his parent/s are actually killed and he must resume his quest.
- Averted: Bob is not restricted to go on an adventure by his parents, who are alive.
- Enforced: "His parents would never let him go on such a suicidal journey. We're going to have to kill them off."
- "My parents are dead. Bye friends, I'm off to have a parental free adventure!"
- "It's not as bad as you think, being an orphan. It's actually quite convenient."
- Invoked: Self-Made Orphan
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Orphans are not allowed to go off to wherever they please, they have to be taken care of through foster care or placed in an orphanage, where they can grow up safely with proper supervision.
- Discussed: "Shouldn't someone be supervising you, even if you don't have parents?"
- Conversed: "He's an orphan because the writers couldn't think of any other way the kid could get around authority this blatantly.
- Deconstructed: The suffering of his parents' deaths, and the emotional neglect of the orphanage, have left Bob so emotionally traumatized that he can not form healthy relationships; he compensates by heroic deeds and Walking the Earth so no one gets too attached to him.
- Reconstructed: Looking back on it though, he eventually concludes that this was a good thing, because of what it allowed him to do, and what it allowed him to become.
Back to Conveniently an Orphan