Playing With: Cloudcuckoolander
: A character has a non-standard perspective on life.
- Straight: Alice has a very strange thought process, but is still intelligible
- Downplayed: Alice has an slight character quirk, but is otherwise quite grounded in reality.
- Alice is actually from another planet and isn't familiar with local customs, etc.
- Or Alice is genuinely insane.
- Or Alice's real self is possessing another body.
- Alice is on hallucinogens.
- Inverted: Alice is the one voice of reason among a cast of surrealists.
- Double Subverted:
- Zig Zagged: Everyone thinks Alice is crazy, but then it turns out that's she's actually so genius no one can understand her thought process but other geniuses, so she's sent to a special school for geniuses, where she's considered weird by the other people who DO understand where she's coming from.
- Averted: Alice has normal intelligence and sanity.
- The writers don't have the whole series plotted out yet, so they want a character to drop vague hints and suggestions which they can call on later on.
- "Everyone loves The Loonie."
- "Alice, where exactly did that train of thought come from, and where exactly is it going?"
- "I'm not crazy, I'm just.... differently sane."
- Alice is perfectly capable of making sense, but is cheerfully random as a way to avoid serious conversations.
- Alice acts this way to cover up her many dark, serious issues.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice says something that earns her weird looks, only to assure her team that she is not, in any way, eccentric at all.
- Discussed: "Try to be wary of Alice. She's a bit... off."
- Conversed: "Why are so many happy-go-lucky morons in anime?"
- Alice's Cloudcuckoolander tendencies come from insanity, another psychological disorder (like Disorganized Schizophrenia), or a very screwed up childhood.
- Her unusual thought process, though amusing and unique, causes her to make very bad decisions most rational people would not commit. And worst, end up getting people killed.
- Her strange behavior alienates everyone around her, and makes her more prone to being bullied, leaving her with only her imagination, causing her to go even further into insanity and depression.
- She becomes so entrenched in her imagination she is considered as a schizophrenic and thus thrown into a mental hospital.
- People find her incredibly annoying and exasperating, due to her quirks.
Done playing with this trope, like an octopus (hey, the plural of octopus
, so if two octopodes lived on opposite ends of the earth, would they be antipodal octopodes
?) playing with a tin can or something? 'Kay, back to Cloudcuckoolander
I thought the plural was octopi
It's "octopese", duh.
Isn't the plural form of octopus octopus, just like fish is fish when there's many fish?