: A comically incompetent father in a Dom Com
- Straight: Bob means well, but he often grabs the Idiot Ball and gets his wife and children into all sorts of misadventures with him. He is also a very flawed (yet sympathetic) individual.
- Exaggerated: Bob is an outright Jerk Ass who is a borderline (if not outright) abusive father.
- The family share possession of the Idiot Ball pretty fairly, but Bob carries it more than most.
- Bob sometimes makes stupid mistakes every now and then, but when disaster strikes, he is the one who protects his family.
- Subverted: Bob seems dumb, but that was Obfuscating Stupidity.
- Double Subverted: But it turns out, he was really that dumb. When he seemed smart, he was Feigning Intelligence
- Zig Zagged: Bob is a very loving and attentive father, and he's also extremely good at his job and is an excellent provider. The problem is that he's also as stubborn as a mule when it comes to trying to fix something himself when it breaks down, rather than calling a professional. On those occasions, his competence flies completely out the window.
- Averted: Bob is a competent father.
- Lampshaded: "He's like all those bumbling dads you see in sitcoms."
- Invoked: Alice specifies in her Lonely Hearts ad that she's looking for a Man Child with whom to settle down and raise kids.
- Exploited: ???
- Alice breaks up with Bob when she sees that he is too immature to raise a family, and not likely to change any time soon.
- Alternately, Bob decides, "Enough fooling around; I'm expecting kids soon.", and spends more time with Alice. He also learns basic household chores from her...
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Can have a negative effect on his children and his wife, leading to the breakdown of the (presumably already dysfunctional) family.
- Reconstructed: Bob is dumb and irresponsible, but he sincerely loves his family and is capable of stepping up when it's important.
- Played For Drama: Bob's mistakes and selfishness negatively affect his family.
Back to Bumbling Dad