Playing With: Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?
: The Damsel in Distress
is offended that the bad guy(s) didn't want to molest her. Nearly always played for laughs.
- Straight: Dirk Dastardly's men burst into Helpless Holly's room. They do not rape her. "What," she cries, "am I not pretty enough?"
- Exaggerated: "What? I'm totally helpless and Bob isn't here to save me. Are you absolutely sure you don't want to ravish me? No? Hmm... Oh dear, I just tore my dress open. Whatever will I do? These nasty people should ravish me for sure now... *beat* Oh, for crying out loud! Do me!... *sniff* *crying* DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
- Holly is relieved that Dirk's men didn't ravish her but feels a slight, embarrassing twinge of offense at the idea that they didn't find her appealing enough.
- Ivy is annoyed that the men on the street don't ogle her, though she would have set her guards on them if any of them had even moved toward her.
- Dirk has a sense of morals going against rape. When Holly is shown to be consenting and actually interested, he does the tango with her.
- Justified: Holly has taken a vow of chastity, so the only way she can ever have sex without losing her honour is if she is to be forced. When Dirk's troops raid the palace, she is dismayed to find that they believe that Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil. It's also possible that Dirk gave them strict orders not to touch her for some other reason, and made it VERY clear what would happen to whoever dared disobey him...
- "No," says Holly, "I won't be ravished by you." Dirk Dastardly groans with dismay. "I was looking forward to that! Am I really that ugly?"
- "Thank heavens, I was afraid for a moment that you'd respect me."
- Helpless(?) Holly rapes Dirk Dastardly's men.
- Holly is actually flattered that they aren't going to rape her because she doesn't want them to see her as weak.
- Gender Inverted: Dirk sends an Amazon Brigade who pillage the palace and take no notice of Bob, much to his chagrin.
- Subverted: As Dirk and his men finish raiding the palace, Dirk cries out, "I nearly forgot!" and pins Holly to the floor...
- Double Subverted: ...turns out he just wanted to make it easier for his men to remove Holly's jewellery.
- Helpless Holly is a Gonk who is actually trying to "get raped" by Dirk Dastardly's men, who respond to her advances with a combination of fear and disgust.
- Helpless Holly asks if the men are going to pin her down and take her in such exaggerated detail that it becomes an actual Imagine Spot, but every single one of Dirk's soldiers is Camp Gay and considers women like Holly unattractive.
- Helpless Holly strips naked as soon as Dirk's Mooks enter the room and throws herself at them while they do what they were there to do in the first place, apparently taking no notice of her at all.
- Zig Zagged: Holly complains that Dirk Dastardly and his men didn't try to rape her, but when any of the men try to make a move on her (consented or not) she gets angry or scared.
- Averted: Holly is relieved that Dirk's men don't ravish her.
- Enforced: The author wanted to show that the bad guys aren't that bad and or that the Holly is that stupid and vain.
- "Wait, am I actually angry that I didn't get raped?"
- "What?! Do you want us to rape you?! Even we are above doing that!"
- "Boss, does it count as rape if she's literally asking for it?"
- Invoked: Dirk drip-feeds Holly stories via her servants that it's wonderful to be ravished. He then organises a raid on the palace and goes on to Exploit (q.v.) this trope.
- Exploited: Dirk orders his men to leave Holly untouched, in order to make her feel insecure about her beauty.
- Waiting for Dirk's men to burst into the room, Holly's sister explains in no uncertain terms that being ‘ravished’, as Holly dreamily calls it, is not nice, not a compliment, and not to be invited.
- Alternatively, Holly's sister tells her that if someone rapes you it's probably because they want to feel powerful and see you as vulnerable and therefore an easy target, not because they actually think you're pretty.
- Discussed: "We'll have rescued Holly by the end of the day, and I don't think she's in much danger of being ravished...matter of fact, that might offend her a bit!"
- Conversed: "You would think that Helpless Holly — what a name! — wouldn't really mind not being molested. Silly book, this."
- Holly has a lighthearted view of sex. After she asks, Dirk's men do rape her, and she quickly finds out that encouraging them wasn't a good idea.
- Alternatively, the reason Holly wasn't relieved was because she thought she'd be able to fight them off anyways, so it won't make much of a difference, only to realize she was wrong the hard way.
- Holly has self-esteem issues and doesn't realize that for some rapists, it's more about domination and vulnerability than actual attractiveness. When they do rape her, she wonders why she doesn't feel pretty.
- Or Dirk's men have different standards of beauty than her and find what she'd find ugly attractive and vice versa. So in a way, she should be flattered they don't find her attractive.
- Holly sees sex as a tool for manipulation and a way to gain power. She wants to distract Dirk's men with her body until the police arrive, and is dismayed when she finds it doesn't work.
- Played For Laughs:
Aren't you going to take me back to Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?