"Oh man, I'm all over this!"TRON: Legacy
is a pinball based on the movie of the same name.
It was designed by John Borg
of Stern Pinball
, illustrated by John Youssi
, and released in August 2011.
The game casts the player as Sam Flynn, who has inadvertently entered the digital world of The Grid while searching for his missing father Kevin. Not only does Sam find his dad and the ISO Quorra, but he's also attracted the attention of Clu and his mysterious enforcer, Rinzler. To escape, Sam and Quorra must now make their way through Clu and his followers, race light cycles, dodge Recognizers, and survive the Disc Battles to reach the Portal and return to the real world.
As expected from a Licensed Game
, the game liberally uses voices, videos, and music from the movie. The pinball itself was released in four different editions
, each distinguished by different translite displays on the backbox. The first two releases also allowed operators to install an optional shaker motor in the game cabinet.
This pinball provides examples of the following tropes:
- Always Night: True to the movie, the pinball playfield is a bit darker than other pins.
- Boobs-and-Butt Pose / Sexy Packaging: The fourth edition of the game has a translite centered on Quorra and Gem.
- The Cameo: Daft Punk, on the right triangle bumper.
- Collapsible Helmet: Clu's.
- Cool Bike: The Light Cycles.
- Cyberspace: The Grid.
- Evil Albino / Ms. Fanservice: Gem
- Future Spandex: Quorra and Gem.
- The Faceless: Clu and Rinzler, at first, as well as Daft Punk. Most prominent in the third release of the game, as the backbox translite features Clu's faceless black helmet front and center.
- Large Ham: Zuse and Clu.
- Licensed Pinball Table
- Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition
- Match Sequence: A lightcycle heads towards the camera, ending with a flash of light and the number being revealed.
- Pillar of Light: The Portal, as seen on the translite of the first two editions.
- Real Song Theme Tune: The game includes three soundtracks from Daft Punk.
- Skill Shot: Several skill shots are available, including a soft launch to Flynn's Arcade and a loop to the upper-left flipper for a chance at a ramp shot.
- Spelling Bonus: Spelling TRON invokes various special features, ZUSE starts a timed scoring mode, and CLU starts the "Terminate Clu" mode.
- Tron Lines: All over the playfield, most notably on the ramps when the playfield blacks out.
- Wizard Mode: Complete all seven goals, then reach The Portal to start Portal Multiball. As four pinballs bounce around the playfield, you must shoot the two outer loops and the two ramps, then hit the Disc Battle, whereupon all of the major shots are worth 1 million points.