Happy now, Wesley?
"Send a maniac to catch a maniac."
—John SpartanDemolition Man
is a 1994 pinball game designed by Dennis Nordman
and released by Williams Electronics
. Based on the film of the same name
, Sylvester Stallone
and Wesley Snipes reprised their roles as John Spartan and Simon Phoenix for the game's custom callouts, along with quotes from the film.
This game was known for its emphasis on multiballs, which recreates the major fights between Spartan and Phoenix throughout the film. Its main features include the pivoting Cryo-Claw, used to select a mode or an award, and the two pistol-grip handles, which control the Claw, the flippers, and the plunger, as well as rewarding hidden bonuses with certain button combinations. Activate the five Cryo-Claw modes, wage battle across the Fortress, the Museum of Violence, the Wasteland, and the Cryo-Prison, then build up all seven Jackpots for the explosive finale.
Demolition Man demonstrates the following tropes:
- Car Fu: The two toy cars on the playfield, which act as captive balls — hit the one in the rear to propel it at the other and score a Car Crash.
- Cluster F-Bomb: The profanity ROMs, which until recently, was unavailable to the public.
- Combos: A big part of this game, as making a lit major shot will cause the game to light whatever subsequent shot can be made from after it, and a skilled player can keep stringing lit shots for larger combos. A random Computer Award is available after every ten Combo shots.
- Everything's Better With Cows: The eighth AcMag award is an exploding cow.
- Eye Scream: One of the captive balls is an eyeball, which awards the Retina Value.
- Hot Pursuit: Car Chase mode.
- Losing Horns: During the match sequence, after Simon says, "Wonder if I can play the accordion, too?", an accordion plays at the end if none of the digits match.
- Match Sequence: Four monitors rotate, with possible numbers shown on each display, and the monitor with the matching number stops rotating.
- Mind Screw: The introduction to "Demolition Time", in which the display goes haywire, and finally displays the mode's instructions.
- Sarcasm Mode: Said by Phoenix in the introduction of "Capture Simon":
Spartan: You and me, Phoenix.
Phoenix: Oh, I'm so scared!
- Skill Shot: After plunging the ball, shoot the ball up the right side ramp for five million points and to increase the combo value.
- Spelling Bonus: Spell M-T-L to increase the bonus multiplier and light the Cryo-Claw.
- Stuff Blowing Up
- Wag the Director: According to artist Doug Watson, his backglass artwork proposals were repeatedly rejected by Wesley Snipes, who wanted to ensure his career wasn't jeopardized by having him look like a crazed character. Linda Deal did the final backglass art.
- Wizard Mode: Two of them:
- Demoltion Time, which is reached after getting all Cryo-Claw awards. It's a five-ball multiball where all shots are worth 15 million points, and the Explode targets increase the value by 5 million points. Hitting all the Explode targets adds another ball into play.
- Demoltion Jackpot, which is the total score for all multiballs played. It's available after completing all multiball modes, and is collected by shooting the right ramp.