- Shrek's roar. Especially when taken in context. Video here.
- Dragon's first impression can be rather frightening, with her sheer ferociousness doubled with all the skeletal corpses scattered around her castle.
- Some of the film's technical goofs, which include things like Fiona without a face. Just a pair of floating eyeballs and a mouth. These were considered so terrifying that it was supposedly the reason why they were left off of the film's Blu-ray release.
- Sadly, this means children aren't getting to see Extremely Fluffy Donkey goofs (every bit of his fuzz sticks straight out from his body to a length of about four feet... talk about Nightmare Fuel Retardant!
- Lord Farquaad's planned punishment for Shrek and Fiona was this, he said that he would be tortured, namely drawn and quartered and that he'll beg for death to save him, while she would be given the same fate she had already endured at the beginning of the film.
- Lord Farquaad's demise. Sure, he was a ruthless dictator, an egotistic maniac and a colossal dick, but being Eaten Alive certainly isn't the best way to go, especially when it is heavily implied that he was digested to death. Disney Villain Death, sure, just don't think too much about what happened to him inside Dragon's belly.
Nightmare Fuel / Shrek
This page is for Nightmare Fuel examples from the first film only, as well as any tie-in specials without their own page. Please put examples for specific films on their designated pages.