Nightmare Fuel: Hell Teacher Nube
Hell Teacher Nube usually mixes horror and Japanese folklore with lots of comedy, but several episodes are more disturbing than funny, especially for a Shōnen manga aimed at teens and pre-teens, where (save for the teachers) all the protagonists are in fifth grade.
- One chapter has a little ghost girl who at first was a benevolent spirit, but when her favorite book was torn apart, became an angry ghost and started kidnapping the kids in the loan list, searching for the culprit. She'd go to them one by one, repeating her favorite part of the book; if they failed to continue the verse, she'd lock them inside the book and go search for the next victim, growing more and more desperate and angry... Until Noriko, the local Cute Bookworm, manages to recite the whole paragraph and calm her down. And right in time, as the poor torn book was about to be burned. Meeep.
- A ghost girl who stole (ripped off) the legs of other children because she lost her own when she was torn in half by a train. She pulls herself with her arms, trailing guts and blood.
- A girl who lost her best friend, so she took her remains and made a mud golem out of them. The entire school is inundated with mud that cries out in pain, ending up dissolving at the pool.
- A procession of ghostly monks and nuns, cursed to wander forever, that appear out of torii gates (or drawings of such.) A couple of nasty, nasty schemers (a guy and his girlfriend) are tricked into stepping into their path and dragged along for all eternity.
- A dog with a man's head, who grows attached to Kyoko. In the end, it pushes her out of the way of a falling pane of glass and is decapitated.
- A very detailed, "visible human" doll, whose left half exposes all its internal organs, comes to life and believes itself to be a real boy, and forcefully pushes itself into anyone it could think of as a "friend." It escapes the planned exorcism and moves elsewhere, with the implication that the weird kid in the baseball cap sitting next to you might be keeping a gruesome secret...
- A human Serial Killer targeting children that used the legend of Aka Manto (Red Mantle) to systematically and sadistically kill children as a grudge against the kids who nearly burnt him to death in his barbershop in a prank gone wrong. Terrifying in how close he gets to killing several of Nube's students, and doubly so when he's supposed to be human (though the ending suggests that his supposed death perhaps didn't take...)
- Mixed with Tear Jerker: Ippon Datara's 'brutal verbal abuse of Yukime, leading her to kidnap and almost kill Ritsuko. (Something that didn't even seem to even cross her mind before.) The effects are both heartbeaking and disturbing as it's VERY unsettling to see the always cheerful and resourceful Yukime become vicious and directly attack a human, which she hadn't done ever since she came for Nuubee; and even worse because she clearly doesn't want to do it but, after being completely mindscrewed, feels that it's her only hope to stay with Nuubee and not lose her own life. And it's eating the poor girl inside as she strips Ritsuko almost naked, gets her bound and prepares to freeze her to death, while apologizing to her almost nonstop.