X is a popular Punk Rock
band from Los Angeles
which formed in 1977. Their first two albums, Los Angeles
and Wild Gift
, are consistently ranked among the greatest punk albums. They also played an important role in The Decline Of Western Civilization
Unrelated to the video game series
or the CLAMP
manga known in the States as X/1999
Tropes that apply to X:
- Awesome McCoolname: Their drummer, DJ Bonebrake. Sure, rest of the band have cool-sounding stage names (Exene Cervenka, John Doe, and Billy Zoom), but DJ Bonebrake was in fact born with that name... Though technically he's Donald J. Bonebrake.
- Cover Version: "Soul Kitchen", "Wild Thing"
- Creator Breakdown: X had two of them:
- Under The Big Black Sun had three songs dealing with Exene Cervenka's sister Mirielle's death by car accident - "Riding With Mary", Come Back To Me" and the title track.
- Ain't Love Grand, the group's 1985 album, was released in the aftermath of Doe and Cervenka's divorce, as Zoom was planning to jump ship. Generally, the album is considered their weakest effort. The band themselves disliked the album due to its slick, metal-friendly production. In the liner notes to Ain't Love Grand's CD reissue, Cervenka admits: "We shouldn't have made a record that year."
- Creator Couple: John Doe and Exene Cervenka.
- Four Person Band:
- One-Letter Name
- Rape as Drama: "Johnny Hit and Run Paulene"
- Vocal Tag Team: Once again, John and Exene.
- Working with the Ex: John and Exene, post-divorce. These days, they're Amicable Exes.