(real name Vegard Sverre Tveitan
) is a Norwegian musician. He is best known as the leader, main songwriter, vocalist, guitarist, bassist and keyboardist of the Black Metal
. He has also done other musical projects (some close to black metal, some much less so; projects he has been involved in include Peccatum, Thou Shalt Suffer, Zyklon-B, Hardingrock, and Embryonic), including a number of solo albums simply under the name "Ihsahn". He is also a columnist in Guitar World Magazine.Solo discography
- The Adversary (2006)
- angL (2008)
- After (2010)
- Eremita (2012)
- Das Seelenbrechen (2013)
Tropes exhibited by or common in Ihsahn's work include:
- Black Metal: Though much more so in his work with Emperor than in his post-Emperor work. Nonetheless, there is still some black metal influence on much of Ihsahn's solo work.
- Creator Couple: With his wife, Ihriel. They had a project called Peccatum that released several albums (some with Ihriel's brother Lord PZ) and have occasionally made guest appearances on each other's albums (her main project is Star of Ash). They also have a new project together called Hardingrock, although it has only released one album and it is not entirely clear if it is still active.
- Epic Rocking: The longer songs span around 8 to 10 minutes.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hard 9.
- Progressive Metal
- Special Guest: Devin Townsend has made a guest appearance on Eremita, returning the favour for Ihsahn's guest appearance on Deconstruction's song "Juular".
- Uncommon Time: He's a progressive metal artist; what else did you expect? "Called by the Fire" has some examples in its instrumental breaks; large portions of the song are in 7/8.