At the Gates
is was is was
is a metal band from Gothenburg, Sweden, and possibly, out of the three Gothenburg bands that pioneered the genre of Melodic Death Metal
, the most-often cited as an influence (the other two being Dark Tranquillity
and In Flames
The band was formed in 1990 by former members of the death
band Grotesque. They recorded a debut EP, Gardens of Grief
, which led Peaceville Records (yes
, that one
) to sign the band, and they released their debut album, The Red in the Sky is Ours
, which featured an eclectic and technical sound, including, for instance, neoclassical arrangements and even a string solo.
They continued with their technical style on their second album, With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness
, but moved away from it with Terminal Spirit Disease
, considered their breakthrough album. In 1995, they released the legendary Slaughter of the Soul
, possibly the most important album in defining melodeath as a subgenre. Slaughter of the Soul
was a huge commercial success (unfortunately for disgruntled fans of the band's more complex early works), but despite this success, the band broke up in 1996.
Like fellow melodeath pioneers Carcass
, they reformed at a later date (in AtG's case, 2007) to play several reunion shows.
Despite originally planning for their 2007-2008 tour to be their last, At the Gates reunited once again in 2010 for some festival dates and have continued to play shows since then. Although they had stated in numerous interviews that they had no plans to release new material, the band confirmed in January 2014 that they had signed to Century Media Recordsnote
and were planning to enter the studio in the summer to record At War With Reality
, their first album in 19 years.
- Tomas Lindberg − vocals (1990–1996, 2007–2008, 2010-present)
- Anders Björler − guitar (1990–1996, 2007–2008, 2010-present)
- Martin Larsson − guitar (1993–1996, 2007–2008, 2010-present)
- Jonas Björler − bass (1990–1992, 1993–1996, 2007–2008, 2010-present)
- Adrian Erlandsson − drums (1990–1996, 2007–2008, 2010-present)
- Alf Svensson − guitar (1990–1993)
- The Red in the Sky is Ours, 1992
- With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, 1993
- Terminal Spirit Disease, 1994
- Slaughter of the Soul, 1995
- At War With Reality, 2014
Tropes that apply to At the Gates:
- Death Metal - The Red in the Sky is Ours and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness are straight-up death metal albums.
- Follow the Leader - Name a melodeath or metalcore band that came after Slaughter of the Soul. They will almost definitely have tried to "expand upon the legacy of the album".
- Last Chorus Slow Down - Songs "Cold" and "Unto Others" almost resemble this, only that it's not exactly the "chorus" they slow down for. Still epic bridges (unless you're not into Slaughter Of The Soul).
- Melodic Death Metal - Trope Maker, along with In Flames and Dark Tranquillity.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness - Early material is a low 10; the two melodeath albums are 9.
- Signature Style: Harmonized dual guitar riffs involving lots of chugging and heavy grooves and throat-cracking, very pissed-off screams, set to typical blastbeat-led Death Metal drumming. Of the three big melodeath bands, they were the heaviest and the most rhythmic.
- Trope Maker: They co-created Melodic Death Metal alongside In Flames and Dark Tranquillity.
- Trope Codifier: For the heavy, chug-driven style of melodeath as played by more modern examples such as Amon Amarth, DevilDriver, Arsis, Eyeconoclast, Hypocrisy, Heaven Shall Burn and The Black Dahlia Murder.