Masuo Fugano is a 24-year-old virgin salaryman
, and Unlucky Everydude
with a capital U. He's tired of being single, and grows despondent when a fortune teller seems to predict he has no chance in love. Despite this, he decides to try a marriage interview
... where he meets the beautiful kindergarten teacher Nagisa Shiozaki
, who has rather the opposite problem: Too many selfish Jerkasses
chasing her have colored her opinion of men in general
, and driven her close to giving up on finding a loving husband. But is this seemingly wishy-washy Extreme Doormat
of a Dogged Nice Guy
really a better prospect?
Well, maybe he's better than the Jerk Jock
or the Upper-Class Twit
who both insist No Means Yes
Thus begins Yamahana Noriyuki
's Yume De Aetara
(If I See You In My Dreams
), 17 volumes of Cannot Spit It Out
, Poor Communication Kills
-level Belligerent Sexual Tension
... and Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other
, Love Bubbles
, and Crowning Moments Of Heartwarming
An OVA and a 12-episode series (of 5 minutes by episode) were released, which became very popular in South America
because Locomotion broadcast it every week
Contains Examples Of:
- Compressed Adaptation / Gecko Ending: the TV series not only cuts all of the other romantic interests of Nagisa (whom, to be fair, featured in the OVA of which the series is a continuation) and excised all the women interested in Masuo (save Hamaoka to make a Love Triangle), it also ends on the arc when Masuo is reassigned and ends with a Train-Station Goodbye between him and Nagisa (with the implication they had their First Kiss before he boarded)
- Devoted to You: every man attracted to Nagisa, and a good chunk of the women Masuo mets after having fallen in love with her. The saddest example was Hamaoka, who is as beautiful as Nagisa and way nicer, but had the very bad Timing of meeting and confessing her feelings to Masuo when he has fallen in love with Nagisa. Masuo, in a moment on insight, admits that had he met Hamaoka first, he would have fallen in love with her instead
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Masuo goes through hell in his pursuit of Nagisa.
- Harsh Word Impact: Masuo is subject to these at least Once per Episode, melting, stabbed with metaphorical knives, turning to stone, etc...
- Magnetic Girlfriend: Before meeting Nagisa, no one would give Masuo the time of the day; after he begins to date her, suddenly a lot of women wants to either jump or tease his poor bones.
- Oh Crap: Masuo has an epic one◊ around mid-way in the series, realizing he's caught between Nagisa and Hamaoka's father, who also happens to have high influences on the company Masuo works at. Just to drive the point home of how much he's screwed, he gets shot by the Space Battleship Yamato's Wave Motion Gun!
- That Came Out Wrong: half of the misunderstandings of the series stem from this.
- Tsundere: Nagisa can give Naru a run for the money. However, Masuo is willing to call her out when she's going overboard on the tsun side.