Manga: The Rows Of Cherry Trees
The Rows Of Cherry Trees by Takahashi Makoto is a one-shot manga from 1957 that could be considered a precursor to the Yuri Genre. The story centers around three students competing in a ping-pong tournament at the Sakura Girls' Institute.
This manga provides examples of:
- Cherry Blossoms
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Ayako towards Chikage
- Disappeared Dad: Yukiko's father died of some undescribed illness.
- Nostalgic Musicbox: Yukiko has one that her late father gave her.
- One-Gender School: Sakura Girls' Institute
- Onee-sama: Chikage is the affectionate type.
- Opening Narration
- Playing Sick: Yukiko claims to have a headache in order to get out of ping-pong practice; in reality she's angsting over her relationship with Chikage.
- Present Tense Narrative
- Purple Prose: The narration tends towards this.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: The plot centers around the Class S Love Triangle between Yukiko, Chikage, and Ayako.
- Sempai/Kohai: Chikage and Yukiko
- Sparkling Stream of Tears: With the emphasis on "sparkling."
- Shower Scene
- Tsurime Eyes: Ayako