Manga: Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Natsuyuki Rendezvous ("Snow-in-Summer Rendezvous") is a manga series by Haruka Kawachi.Hazuki Ryousuke is a young man completely smitten with Shimao Rokka, a widow who owns and operates a small florist shop. He goes so far as to take a part-time job at her store just to be with her more. But just when things seem to be progressing romantically, the ghost of Rokka's husband Atsushi starts interfering. If Hazuki wants to be with Rokka, then both she and Atsushi will have to overcome their lingering attachment issues...An anime adaptation aired as part of the Summer 2012 Anime season in the noitaminA block. It is available on Crunchyroll and The Anime Network.
This series contains the following tropes:
- Badass Boast: May also be taken as a Jerkass one-liner—"One of these days, I'm gonna steal your wife."
- Bittersweet Ending: While Rokka and Hazuki get a happy end, Shimao is still aimlessly floating around town.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Shimao Atsushi, to a point that he causes a poltergeist to occur.
- Grand Theft Me: Atsushi continually asks Hazuki to borrow his body, and in episode 4, Atsushi actually succeeds as a drunken Hazuki less-than-consciously gives consent.
- Although, this case may be more Demonic Possession without the Demon element, as Atsushi was a body-less spirit at the time.
- Ill Guy: Shimao
- I Need a Freaking Drink
- Invisible to Normals: Shimao Atsushi is only visible to Hazuki and no-one else so they can't talk (read: Hazuki can't tell Shimao off) when other people are around. Causes problems when Hazuki tries to call Shimao pathetic whilst Rokka is there and she slaps him not realizing Shimao has been interloping on their romance. It also means as much as he wants to Shimao can't touch his wife or get her into bed when she passes out from fever.
- The two exceptions to this are Hazuki and Hazuki's grandson.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Rokka, thanks to her haircut.
- Magic Land: After Atsushi possesses Hazuki's body, his ousted soul is transported into another realm and is guided by a miniaturized version of a young Rokka.
- Nice Hat: Rokka, sweetheart, are you wearing a basket◊ on your head?
- There's also Hazuki's dragon pattern hat. Rokka specifically mentions liking the pattern.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Uttered by a grief stricken Rokka when Atsushi has passed on his deathbed. His ghost complied to her request and stayed besides her ever since. This served as a catalyst for the entire story.
- Resurrected Romance
- Romancing the Widow
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Hazuki, as it seems
- Justified Title: The "natsuyuki" (snow-in-summer) in the title apparently refers to the potted plant that Shimao spirits away from his house as he runs away still in Hazuki's body.
- Triang Relations: Type 7a
- What Does She See in Him?: This is what bothers Atsushi (while in Hazuki's body) when Rokka reciprocated Hazuki's feelings for her.
- Yandere: Shimao
- You Can See Me?: Shimao had heard of people who can see ghosts before, but in the three years since his death Hazuki is the first one he's encountered.