is a Sequel Series
to the popular Manga
The story takes place six years after the original and MAR Heaven is in a time of peace with Team MAR and Ginta being idolized across the land. One who reveres them as such is Kai, a very headstrong yet kind lad. Since the war, ARMs known as Fake ARMs which anyone can use have become a popular commodity across the land and are used in tournaments, though oddly Kai can't use them.
However fate intervenes one day as while out running errands he comes across a former Chess Piece who tries to rob him. In trying to get away, Kai falls into a lake and finds Babbo. Who, after the War Games and Ginta returning to his world, wandered aimlessly until he had fallen into the lake and went dormant least until Kai latent magic powers awakened him. After dealing with the Chess Piece and returning home. it's eventually revealed that someone is after Babbo. After Kai's village suddenly disappears following a fight, he, along with his friend Elisa go on a journey to strengthen their magic and defeat the mysterious organization who supplied the Fake ARMs in the first place.
While sharing the MAR name, the series was not written nor drawn by original creator, Nobuyuki Anzai (though he apparently did approve of it's creation). Rather his assistant, Kōichirō Hoshino, who would go on to create Popcorn Avatar
, was responsible for the majority of it. It lasted from 2006-2007 with 39 chapters, resulting in four volumes total. Interestingly unlike the original series, which was basically a series long Tournament Arc
. This series focuses more on the adventure aspect.
has the following tropes.
- Alternate Continuity: Depends on if you follow the anime of the original series which had a very different ending from the manga. Otherwise it follows the manga's canon.
- Big Bad: Unwetter. Subverted, Atoms turns out be this in the end thanks to his scheming.
- Cast from Hit Points: How the Fake ARMs work as, unlike real ARMs which harmlessly drain magic from it uses, these take from away from the users life force.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Inga, mostly because he's a starchily trained guard of Kaldia as well as the fact that he's related to the big bad of the story. Over the course of the adventure he comes to mellow out.
- Disney Death: Greda.
- Elemental Powers: Elise's ARM ability. She mostly uses ice or water attacks. But late in the series she gains wind and fire based ones as well.
- Freudian Excuse: Atmos reveals he's doing all of this just because he lost his sister when his father, a king, cruelly ran over her with his horse and showed no remorse over it. After their kingdom was destroyed thanks to a odd disaster. He aimed to gain power and become a God so he can have free reign over people. Not realizing he became just as bad if not worse then his father in his actions.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The group are after magic stone in order to restore Baboo's memories of what the Omega system is.
- Guest Star Party Member: Alviss, Nanashi, and Dorothy make appearances and join Kai's group at certain points in the series. They also show up for the final battle as well.
- In Medias Res: The series starts at the final battle, it then backtrack to show How We Got Here.
- It's All My Fault: Seems to be a theme of the series as Kai constantly blames himself for everything that seems to go wrong. The course of the series sees him overcome it and realize it's alright to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.
- Jerkass: The mermaid the group run into while trying to retrieve the third magic stone. She was suppose to keep guard over it but admits she threw it into the ocean where her pet had ate it. She's also quite unhelpful and it isn't until she finds out Kai's relation to Baboo does she finally tell them how to get Kai out of her pet's stomach.
- Karma Houdini: Vivi, she nearly kills Kai in their fight and it's only thanks to the mermaid they got away alive. But the most repercussion she gets for it is losing her Fake ARM after Atmos is defeated. And getting socked on the head by Artemis whom she nearly killed as well.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Kai is strong but he has a horribly bad habit of rushing into battles headfirst before he sees his opponents abilites.
- No Export for You: While It's predecessor was released in full in other countries. Omega never left it's country
- Secret Legacy: Kai turns out to be a descendant of Baboo.
- Sequel Series
- The Cameo: Alan, Snow, Jack and of course Ginta and Koyuki. Jack only play a minimal role in saving Kai after a near fatal encounter with one of Unwetter's masterpieces. The rest don't really have a role in the story only to just let us know they're still around. Heck we don't even fully see Snow or Ginta's appearances.
- The Unfought: Unwetter, just as he's about to attack the heroes. Atmos hooks him to the Ark and drains his consciousness, turning him into his personal weapon.
- Villainous Breakdown: Atoms as Kai gains an advantage over him in their fight.
- You Have Failed Me: Atmospulls this on Arteims after he loses to Kai.