"Anything I desire, I will acquire."Akuma de Sourou
— Takeru Edogawa
, aka The Devil Does Exist
(1999-2002), is an 11-volume romance manga series by Mitsuba Takanashi, which was later adapted into a live-action Taiwanese drama, Devil Beside You
(starring Rainie Yang
and Mike He). It follows shy high schooler Kayano Saitouís failed love confession to a classmate, which gains the attention of the principalís mischievous son, Takeru Edogawa. She resists his bullying, but discovers that her mother is engaged to Takeruís father! Even harder than living together is working out their complicated relationship.
Do not confuse with Mayu Shinjo
's Akuma na Eros
This show provides examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: When Mamoru hugs Kayano without an introduction, it becomes this.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Takeru's a delinquent, no doubt. But he gets away with it because his dad is the principal. And of course, he has his legion of followers.
- Aloof Older Brother: Takeru to Yuzuru.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Mamoru may be a power-businessman at work, but at home he wears frilly aprons and generally makes a fool of himself to win his son's affection.
- He's the only person who can make Takeru visibly embarrassed: Mamoru reveals that Takeru was very excited to get a big sister, resulting in the most hilarious face he makes throughout the entire series.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: It's first time Kayano stands up for herself.
- Arranged Marriage: Takeru's grandmother attempts unsuccessfully to enforce this.
- Art Evolution: The cover of the first book compared to later
- Bastard Boyfriend: Takeru bullied and blackmailed shy, innocent Kayano, and who can forget their bondage sex before he leaves for Italy?
- This line at the top says it all. It doesn't matter that she likes another guy or that their parents are going to be married. He wants her and doesn't care who gets hurt (which is almost a direct quote).
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kamijou is a level-headed guy... but enough is enough when his crush starts kissing her step-brother.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Kayano, between Takeru and her mother.
- Also, Youhei between his respect for Takeru's choice in Kayano and his own love for Rika.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Cute Sports Club Manager: Kayano
- Fangirl: Takeru has a host of them. To make things worse, even Nacchan and Haru even have fangirl moments when they meet Takeru for the first time.
- Flirty Stepsiblings
- Hands-Off Parenting: Takeru's mom has spent a substantial portion of his life out of the country, and his father is constantly working.
- Kayano's mom is usually working or out on a date. Kayano herself calls her an irresponsible parent.
- Handsome Devil
- Hey, You!: Kamijou is disturbed when Takeru gives him a pet name.
- Japanese Delinquents: Takeru and his friends in the beginning.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Takeru starts off as a blackmailing bully, but it's really just to get a girl's attention?
- Long Distance Relationship
- Love Letter Lunacy: How the whole series starts. Takeru intercepts Kayano's letter to Kamijou and threatens to make copies and distribute it unless she agrees to be his servant.
- Nice Guy: Kamijou
- Not Blood Siblings: This is a good enough excuse for Takeru, but less so for Kayano.
- Not What It Looks Like: Played with. Kayano and Takeru come home and admit to Sujii that they were at a hotel. It's not what it looks like because Sujii assumes the worst, which isn't true. The kicker is that they actually ARE in a relationship; they just hadn't been doing what she expected.
- Now or Never Kiss: See also: Now or Never Drunken Sex Before Boy Leaves for Foreign Country for Who Knows How Long
- Oblivious Younger Sibling: Hikaru just doesn't understand romance. But then again, theirs is pretty twisted, so who can?
- Open Minded Parent: Mamoru accepts Takeru and Kayano's relationship immediately.
- Sacred First Kiss: Kayano is pretty pissed at having this stolen.
- School Idol: No girl is immune.
- Shrinking Violet: Kayano at first.
- Stalker with a Crush: Why does Takeru go out of his way to harass poor Kayano? Oh, wait....
- True Companions: Takeru has a group of devoted friends including Rika and Youhei.
- The Unfavorite: Takeru has always felt this way with his mom.