The Devil King is Bored
is a (so far) none-too serious manwah (Korean manga) about the Devil King. As the title suggests, he's bored!
Unluckily for his subjects, his entertainment often comes at their expense. Luckily for us, his antics are absolutely priceless!
Now follow the Devil King as he seeks out entertainment by tormenting his people, beating his more annoying subjects to a pulp, kidnapping princesses
, and making us laugh!
Overall, The Devil King Is Bored
looks to be a parody of the typical Heroic Fantasy
stereotypes that every early Eastern RPG
seemed to follow.
Translations can be read on almost any major manga site.
The Devil King is Bored provides examples of:
- Absolute Cleavage: Succubus.
- Bad Boss: Where to even begin?
- Batman Gambit: The Devil King purposely kidnapped the Princess in the hopes that Heroes would be sent to rescue her.
- Butt Monkey: See The Starscream below. Really, nearly everyone who isn't the Devil King ends up in this role eventually. (And the Devil King, while he gets to torment everyone, is always bored.)
- Catch Phrase: "Cause I'm bored."
- Cerebus Syndrome: Early on, the Devil King angrily tells Succubus that he told her never to use her dream-controlling magic on him; this is played off as just another joke about him lashing out at his subjects. Later, we see the dreams she was sending him — and learn a bit about the backstory between them in the process — and it's not at all humorous.
- Come to Gawk: Parodied. When Mashim has been captured by humans, Succubus invites a bunch of demons to come and laugh at him from outside of his cell.
- Comically Invincible Villain Protagonist: The devil king is stupidly strong. In the backstory, the united armies of Heaven and humanity defeated his entire kingdom and every other demon, and still couldn't beat him.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: As it is a parody of early Eastern RPG stereotypes, the story does take cues from Christianity in much the same way that one would expect a JRPG of the eighties or nineties would, only parodied.
- Dirty Coward: The Archangel Gabriel himself is shocked at how such a selfish and greedy priestess has so much holy power.
- Distressed Damsel: Again, parodied.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The Devil King regularly massacres his subjects in order to entertain himself, but when he finds one mortally wounded and is attacked by the ones responsible, he'll star an even bigger massacre!
- Jumped at the Call: Also parodied. The heroes, their leader in particular, nearly freak out when they find out when they find out that the Devil King has kidnapped the king's daughter and, due to extenuating political circumstances, cannot send a full-scale army into hell to rescue her, and that they've been selected to go save them. The look on his face has to be seen to be believed.
- Lethal Chef: The princess. Her cooking is amazing to demons though.
- Reality Ensues: One chapter shows what happens when the human king tries to act the way the Devil King does, without his ridiculous personal might. It doesn't go well for him.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Archangel Gabriel takes one look at the Devil King and bails. Priestess Chloe immediately follows suit.
- Shout-Out: Lots.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Inverted. The Devil King immediately appears before the heroes when they arrive in Hell and uses his ultimate attack, Blood Requiem, beating them instantly. They soon call him out on this.
- The Starscream: Mashim, otherwise known as "Number Two" is a Devil that constantly tries to take the current Devil King's place. Sadly for him, he's a supreme Butt Monkey and can never get away with anything.
- Troll: The Devil king.
- Villainous Crush: The Princess is convinced that this was the Devil King's reason for kidnapping her.
- Villain Protagonist: A comedic variant.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: The Princess is convinced that she's in a Love Triangle romance story between her, the Devil King, and a hero (who she hasn't even met yet.)
- Xanatos Gambit: Pulled off by the Red Devil after he's become friends with a human girl and convinced that this girl has been kidnapped. If he rescues her, then everything's fine, but if something happens to him, the Devil King shows up!