Wheelchairs are very restricting. You can't move your legs, and can't really use stairs. But some people do notice that wheelchairs have, well, wheels. Those wheels can be used for doing tricks like a skateboard. When someone puts the two together, they realize that a wheelchair can actually be entertaining! It can cause people to be impressed, to the point that they might even try it, even though they might not be disabled. Some other people might get mad for the ruckus you make. No matter what, in fiction, this can be done "Up to Eleven
Sister Trope to Swivel-Chair Antics
. See also Super Wheelchair
Anime and Manga
- When Great Teacher Onizuka broke his foot, he passed the time by engaging other wheelchair-bound patients in high-speed races.
- The Infinity League: After Miranda ended up in a wheelchair, she got into one of these, though not because she wanted to, but because the DOCTOR, Aria, wanted to. Aria's little sister, Holly, was not amused, mainly because she was getting chased by her older sister while Aria was wheeling Miranda.
- Betray Me Not: Despite having just one arm, Brandon is pretty good at using a wheelchair (said wheelchair is specifically designed for one-hand control). He can quickly alternate between spinning the wheel and steering the lever.
- Played with, somehow, in the Floor Show part of The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Dr. Scott is de-Medusa'd to find that he can move his legs, but whilst wearing fishnet stockings. He then joins the ongoing chorus line, but instead of getting out of the wheelchair, he just flails his legs around helplessly.
- In Silent Movie, Mel and his boys are pursuing Paul Newman through a hospital Newman's in. All chairs are motorized, but only Newman actually needs his.
- Norm can briefly be seen messing around with Jake's wheelchair in Avatar, balancing on the back two wheels in the link room.
- In the third Flodder movie, Toet and Henkie put an engine on Grandpa’s wheelchair so he can leave the house without help. Unfortunately, it turns out to be a little too powerful.
- Children of the Red King: Ezekiel Bloor engages in this at least once. In Hidden King, he attaches sparklers to the back of his wheelchair and rides around through a crowd like that.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "End Of Days". While looting an Abandoned Hospital for medical supplies in preparation for the Final Battle, Anya and Andrew have a wheelchair fight..
- Scrubs: Doctors compete to see who can stay balanced longest on the back wheels of wheelchairs. Turk also bowled a wheelchair-bound patient into empty oxygen tank containers in Season 1, Episode 4, "My Old Lady".
- Glee: The episode "Wheels" has the entire Glee club spending part of their day in wheelchairs to help them relate to Artie, a wheelchair-using member of the club, topping it off with a musical performance of Proud Mary while in the chairs. Complete with wheel-chair choreography.
- Saved by the Bell had an episode with a disabled woman in a wheel chair. At the end of the episode they had a charity wheelchair basketball game.
- On M*A*S*H, during the Olympics episode, Hawkeye and BJ are team captains. They make a bet that the loser has to push the winner around in a wheelchair for a month.
- From one episode of Father Ted: "Honestly, what kind of situation would require the use of a pair of fake arms and a remote-controlled wheelchair? Only, I imagine, a completely ludicrous one!"
- Cleo from MythQuest uses a wheelchair because of an accident when she was young. She is shown to have some basic tricks up her sleeve, like spins and a short wheelie. When she's depressed about not being able to go on a ski trip, her brother shows her a video of an adaptive skier he met.
- Hank from Julie's Greenroom frequently pops wheelies, and has decorated the back of his wheelchair with patches.
- An episode of King of the Hill played this one seriously (and positively). A Doctor Jerk convinces Bill that he was going to develop diabetes and prescribed him a wheelchair. At first he's depressed, but then he meets a paraplegic man who plays wheelchair basketball, and his friendship helps lift Bill's spirits. It eventually turns out that the exercise Bill got playing basketball improved his health and helped stave off the diabetes, and he goes back and kicks the doctor's ass.