open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
Live Action Television
- The episode "Everything Changes" used this, after Gwen bluffs her way into the Torchwood base, with the subversion that all the other characters did notice her, they were just pretending to not see her until they couldn't keep it up anymore and burst out laughing.
- The episode "Random Shoes" does it again with Eugene, although this time they honestly don't notice him because he's a ghost.
- Came up a couple of times in The X-Files, although these weren't so much secret labs as academic or government labs doing secret things.
- The Professionals episode "Involvement" features Doyle's girlfriend wandering into the top secret security organisation CI5 and eavesdropping on an interrogation.
- In the pilot episode of Jake 2.0, Jake's status as tech support guy at the National Security Agency gets him into both the main situation room (while a major op is going down) and the super top-secret lab where nanobots are being created. In both cases he spends several minutes gawping at the urgent, top-secret goings on before remembering he's there to fix some Bridge Bunny's hard drive.
- Perfect Dark: dataDyne Central, Area 51, the Pelagic II.
- Fallout: New Vegas: As long as you're not too badly regarded by the NCR, you can easily sneak into Hoover Dam's facilities, including the turbine chambers, the armory, the offices, and the barracks without anyone even asking who you are or making you relinquish your weapons. If you so wanted, you could probably plant a few bombs and cripple the region (although there's no quest to do so).
- Probably not all that uncommon in real life, at least for university laboratories.
<<|Speculative Fiction Tropes|>>