open/close all folders
- The French comic Les Profs has one teacher become so miserable that when he recounts his woes to the barman, everyone starts laughing at him. The last panel is the barman putting up a sign advertising the teacher as the bar's entertainment.
- In the Shel Silverstein poem Cloony the Clown, a clown tries really hard to make people laugh, but to no avail. However, when he finally gets fed up and tells his audience how depressed he is, they finally start laughing.
- In Discworld, there was a man named Bouncy Normo, the funniest clown who ever lived. In reality, the man was The Bore and yet everything he did made people laugh. His story heads straight into Crosses the Line Twice territory when the narrator says that the despair of people laughing at him even as he begged them to stop eventually drew him to commit suicide. His hanging corpse was somehow considered an avant-garde comedy act by those who found him. It so funny in fact, that it stayed on the noose for weeks afterward.
Live Action Television
- The Season 3, Episode 4 episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus "Blood, Devastation, Death, War and Horror" features the "Man Who Makes People Laugh" sketch. Mr. Holden is an average, middle-aged man who's words causes those that hear it to burst out in hysterical laughter, even though everything he says isn't humorous in the slightest. This eventually gets him fired by his boss, who is desperately holding in hysterical laughter as he speaks with him, because his laughter inducement is considered obstructive by his fellow employees.
- Andy Kaufman's "Foreign Man" persona on Saturday Night Live tells a few So Unfunny, It's Funny jokes, and then just forgets the rest of his routine and freezes on stage. As Foreign Man desperately tries to cut the skit short, he gets more and more upset that the audience is still laughing at him.
- Inverted for laughs in Zeus Master Of Olympus: if a city neglects the Arts, its defeated actors return from the regular Pan-Hellenic games with the report that they "moved the audience to tears. Unfortunately, it was a comedy."
- In the Makemebad 3535 video Haunted by Laughs!, Damien is bothered by an offscreen laugh track, who is perpetually laughing at everything he does, no matter how mundane it is, like showering, petting his cat, drinking a glass of water, etc. He spends the whole time shouting angrily at them to shut up until he is in tears, pleading to them to stop laughing as they keep him from sleeping.
- Richard Pryor from Black Dynamite is SO hilarious, that anyone that hears him speak will laugh hysterically (except Black Dynamite, who has No Sense of Humor). It gets SO bad however, he tries to seriously threaten someone in jail, only for them to laugh in his face, not taking him seriously.
- In the The Fairly OddParents! episode "Class Clown", Timmy wishes that he was the funniest boy on Earth, hoping it would get Trixie to notice him. Because of this, everything he says will cause those that hear him to laugh hysterically. At first it works, but Timmy gets annoyed when literally everything he says is treated like he's telling a joke, even when he tries to reverse the wish. Luckily, he manages get Cosmo and Wanda to take him to Fairy World. Because he wished to be the funniest man on Earth, he is no longer funny off planet, and is able to wish everything back to normal.