''If I am escaping in a large truck and the hero is pursuing me in a small Italian sports car, I will not wait for the hero to pull up along side of me and try to force him off the road as he attempts to climb aboard. Instead I will slam on the brakes when he's directly behind me. (A rudimentary knowledge of physics can prove quite useful.)During a Chase Scene, this happens when the pursued suddenly brakes in order to make the pursuer run into him. A variation on this exists where the pursued driver doesn't let the other car slam in; he just brakes and lets the other vehicle speed by, meanwhile turning around and going back the way he came. Needs a Better Description
— Evil Overlord List, Cellblock A, #134
- A U.S. commercial for Allstate auto insurance calls this maneuver the "swoop and squat" and mentions its use in insurance fraud.
- In Detective Conan, a variant is used to disable a car full of bad guys holding a man hostage: they box him in, and then the car in the front slams on the breaks, causing the bad guys inside to lose their grip on the hostage and allowing the police to move in and arrest them all without causing too much harm on said hostage.
- Tintin is on a motorcycle and chasing a carful of baddies. The baddies slam on the brakes, Tintin gets knocked off his bike, baddies zoom off.
- Tintin and some others are riding in a car. Unknown to them, the car in front of them is full of bad guys. As they're passing by a lake, the car in front brakes, and Tintin's car gets knocked into the lake.
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day. While driving the SWAT van, the T-800 slams on the brakes to make the pursuing helicopter (piloted by the T-1000) crash into the van.
- Speed uses a variation: in order to jump from the car he's driving (which he's in via Flashed Badge Hijack) into the bus, Keanu Reeves opens the door, slams on the brakes, and lets the bus take the door off.
- Storm Hawks:
Stork: I hate tailgaters.
- In the pilot, the Condor, The Storm Hawks' carrier ship, is tailed by the Raptors. Stork does this to them.
- In episode 31, Aerrow is chased by Hoerk at one point. He brakes, clipping Hoerk's skimmer with his own and sending him spinning out of control.
- In episode 49, when Finn is on Marge's ship and they're being attacked by Talons, Marge pulls on the brake once the Talons are behind them, causing their skimmers to collide with the much larger airship.
- There's an entry in the Evil Overlord List about this.
If I am driving a large truck and The Hero is chasing me in a small Italian sports car, I will not let him pull alongside and try to force him off the road. Instead I will slam on the brakes when he's directly behind me.