"Many Bothans died to bring us this information."
The importance of a piece of new information is underscored by relating the loss of life incurred to bring it to light.
Film: Live Action
- In DC Special #29, the origin of the Justice Society of America, a British agent tells the President: "We have received information—very reliable information, obtained at the cost of many lives—and it is now clear that Hitler plans to invade England—within weeks!"
- The page quote comes from Return of the Jedi, when Rebel leader Mon Mothma points out many Bothan spies had died to bring the information during the briefing for the Battle of Endor. And only succeeded because the Emperor allowed it, or so he says.
- In The Rocketeer, when Howard Hughes shows Cliff the Nazi propaganda film, he says "Keep watching, kid. It cost a man's life to get this out of Germany."
- Happens in The Right Stuff, while the two White House staffers are showing the film of the Soviet space program.
White House Staffer #1: This footage was assembled from souces operating under cover at great risk.
White House Staffer #2: Very great.
White House Staffer #1: We're fortunate this material didn't perish... with a couple of men.
- Christopher Walken's butt-smuggled wristwatch from Pulp Fiction.
- The crew of a hovercraft, the Osiris, dies after succeeding to relay information of an impending Machine invasion against Zion in "Final Flight of the Osiris," a digitally animated short story from The Animatrix. This adventure is canonically noted at the start of The Matrix Reloaded when Niobe, a hovercraft captain, presents the Osiris's information for all to see at a captain's meeting.