open/close all folders
- In Tootsie:
Sandy: A guy named Les is sending you flowers?
Michael Dorsey: Yes. He's a friend of mine. He can't eat candy; he's diabetic.
Sandy: Why is he thanking you for a lovely night in front of the fire?
Michael Dorsey: [long pause] My mind's a blank.
- In Old School the fraternity members are set up in a debate against James Carville. Frank (Will Ferrell, playing his usual Man Child character) opts to take the first question. His answer is surprisingly intelligent, and Carville's team frantically whispers among themselves for a long time before finally replying, "We... have no response".
- From Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Will and Jack wake up Gibs, who's sleeping with the pigs, by throwing a bucket of water on him. Then Will throws a second bucketful at him, to which he angrily responds "Blast it! I'm already awake!". Will replies "That was for the smell." There's a pause, then Gibbs shrugs and nods his head.
Live Action TV
- In one episode of Stargate SG-1, the team hesitates at the prospect of getting to the gate, which is guarded by a legion of Jaffa. O'Neill is arguing with a scientist about how to go about it, when the scientist just goes, "But you're SG-1!" O'Neill has no response to that except to shrug, and go ahead and kick some ass.
- In an episode of The West Wing, Sam Seaborn gets his ass verbally handed to him by Blonde Republican Sex Kitten Ainsley Hayes, who then heads off for a snack. He's quite speechless until after she's left, at which point he says "...I could have countered that, but I'd already moved on to other things in my head."
- In El Goonish Shive, when Grace tells Tedd why she lied, he does the 'mouth open and finger-in-air' version.
Tedd: You should have told me where you were going.Grace: I didn't want you to worry.Tedd: But you lied to me.Grace: It's okay to lie to people if you think it's for their own good!Tedd: Who gave you that idea?Grace: Everyone I have ever known ever.Tedd: ...Tedd: Fair enough.
- This from Sluggy Freelance.
- Here in Skin Horse, Dr. Lee doesn't think Tip is an idiot, as such, but she certainly wasn't expecting his pithy assessment of the situation.
- The Order of the Stick frequently uses this for its punchlines. See here and here (spoilers).
Redcloak: Logic dictates that the simplest solution is the most probable.O'Chul: And you find the idea that I have some sort of secret knowledge implanted in my brain by elders of the Sapphire Guard that has been so deeply suppressed that no magical effect can unearth it to be simpler than the idea that I just don't know anything?Redcloak: [long pause] ...I like the way I phrased it better.
- In this Footloose strip, Keti runs into this problem with her mother.
- In The Property of Hate, I legimtately do not know how to respond to that.
- In Justice League Unlimited Lex Luthor is trying to shut up Tala so he can concentrate on reviving Brainiac. Tala says "Transmutation of matter is what you want, right?" It takes a bit of time for this to sink in, but Lex is finally taken aback. "Do it then!"
- Parodied by Peggy in King of the Hill, where she goes on a thirty second rant of how she cannot say anything to that.
Peggy: Hank Hill, I am speechless. I literally have nothing to say. Not one word. Nada. Zilch. Zero. (beat) I don't know what you're waiting for.
- From Regular Show:
Mordecai: But if there is one thing you can trust us with, it's perfecting pointless skills on company time.Benson: Wow... I really don't have an answer to that.
- In The Simpsons, when Homer insists on finishing a dead trucker's delivery and Bart wants to come along:
Homer: Don't you have school?
Bart: Don't you have work?
Homer: Ah, touché!