One character is arguing with another who (s)he thinks is being stupid, when the other makes a point which renders the first momentarily speechless. Related to Dumbass Has a Point
. In comics, as per the Webcomics example, signified by '...
'. In live action, usually signified by character 1 pausing open-mouthed, possibly with a finger in the air.
Related to Shutting Up Now
and Sarcasm Failure
- In one episode of Stargate SG-1, the team hesitates at the prospect of getting to the gate, which is guarded by a legion of Jaffa. O'Neill is arguing with a scientist about how to go about it, when the scientist just goes, "But you're SG-1!" O'Neill has no response to that except to shrug, and go ahead and kick some ass.
- In an episode of The West Wing, Sam Seaborn gets his ass verbally handed to him by Blonde Republican Sex Kitten Ainsley Hayes, who then heads off for a snack. He's quite speechless until after she's left, at which point he says "...I could have countered that, but I'd already moved on to other things in my head."
- In El Goonish Shive, when Grace tells Tedd why she lied, he does the 'mouth open and finger-in-air' version.
Tedd: You should have told me where you were going.
Grace: I didn't want you to worry.
Tedd: But you lied to me.
Grace: It's okay to lie to people if you think it's for their own good!
Tedd: Who gave you that idea?
Grace: Everyone I have ever known ever.
Tedd: Fair enough.
- This from Sluggy Freelance.
- Here in Skin Horse, Dr. Lee doesn't think Tip is an idiot, as such, but she certainly wasn't expecting his pithy assessment of the situation.
- The Order of the Stick frequently uses this for its punchlines. See here and here (spoilers).
- In this Footloose strip, Keti runs into this problem with her mother.
- In Justice League Unlimited Lex Luthor is trying to shut up Tala so he can concentrate on reviving Brainiac. Tala says "Transmutation of matter is what you want, right?" It takes a bit of time for this to sink in, but Lex is finally taken aback. "Do it then!"
- Parodied by Peggy in King of the Hill, where she goes on a thirty second rant of how she cannot say anything to that.
Peggy: Hank Hill, I am speechless. I literally have nothing to say. Not one word. Nada. Zilch. Zero. (beat) I don't know what you're waiting for.
- From Regular Show:
Mordecai: But if there is one thing you can trust us with, it's perfecting pointless skills on company time.
Benson: Wow... I really don't have an answer to that.