Q: You hit me! Picard never hit me!
Sisko: I'm not Picard!Sometimes, there's a character that does things differently than others would expect of another character, such as when the Tyrant Takes the Helm or there's a Bait-and-Switch Tyrant. He will be called out on it, being told that the other character would not behave this way. To that, he will simply answer with the Stock Phrase "I am not him". He is not that other guy, and everyone will have to learn to accept that. I Am Not My Father is a family-centered Sub-Trope. Compare I Am What I Am. Not to be confused with I Am Not Shazam, I Am Not Spock, I Am Not Leonard Nimoy, I Am Not Weasel or Accidental Misnaming. This is not the inversion of Actually, I Am Him, either.
— Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, "Q-Less"
Examples:Anime & Manga
- Simon's "World of Cardboard" Speech in episode 11 of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is about him coming to terms with the fact that he can't be exactly like Kamina.
- Naota from FLCL has a similar speech in the fifth episode, where he demands that Mamimi stop calling him by his older brother's nickname "Ta-kun".
- In Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Ash refuses Koba's command to kill unarmed humans when Caesar isn't around, claiming that it isn't what Caesar would want. It doesn't end well for Ash.
- In American Gods, Mr. Wednesday is the American incarnation of Odin ("Wednesday" comes from "Wotan's Day," "Wotan" being another version of "Odin")and is a real Jerk Ass not to mention the Big Bad of the novel. Shadow, the protagonist, later meets the Scandinavian Odin who is a rather more likable Boisterous Bruiser, who explains that Wednesday was him, but he was not Wednesday.
- In Dragon Bones, Ward has to prove that he's not like his father very often, as his father was a fan of Klingon Promotion. Then there is the added problem that he, in body and magical power, resembles a nasty ancestor, and Oreg, who is Really 700 Years Old and was tortured by that ancestor, mistakes Ward for him at one point. Ward has to repeat "I am not him" a couple of times.
- The page quote is from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Q-Less", the only episode to feature Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Q and Sisko are in a 20s-style boxing ring, and Q is trying to get Sisko to fight. After a while, Sisko finally punches Q down, much to his surprise. This was to help differentiate Sisko from the previous Star Trek captains, particularly Picard.
- Monk: In one of Natalie's first episodes, Monk complains that Sharona always paid for the wipes. Natalie tells Monk, "I am not Sharona." It came across as a weak cover for the fact that Natalie was a Suspiciously Similar Substitute for Sharona, and that the episode was originally written for Sharona.
- Rossi from Criminal Minds gets a line similar to this in one of his early episodes after he replaces Gideon.
- On Law & Order, Jack McCoy catches the corrupt Governor Donald Shalvoy in a prostitution scandal that has also led to murder. He makes a deal with the Governor not to indict him if Shalvoy testifies against his wife. Executive ADA Michael Cutter adds another twist after McCoy leaves the room: Shalvoy immediately steps down from office. When Shalvoy protests that this wasn't part of his deal with McCoy, Cutter says, "I'm not Jack McCoy."
- M*A*S*H: When Col. Potter took over, one of the first things he does is start rearranging the office. When Radar points out that Col. Blake liked a certain filing cabinet against one wall, Potter states "Blake's gone. I'm in command now" and has Radar move the filing cabinet to a different wall.
- The Earth-2 Harrison Wells in The Flash (2014) spends most of his first full episode crankily insisting to Team Flash that he is a different man from the one they all know as Harrison Wells. (And it's true- he's much more blunt and quite the jerkass compared to the original ...and the one who was impersonating the original.) He often tells this in Season 2.
- Likewise, in Arrow, Earth-2's Laurel Lance keeps insisting to Quentin that she's not at all like his late daughter. She does, however, start to mellow out by the end of season 6 and even starts treating Quentin as if he was her father (Quentin's Earth-2 double died when she was little). This also happens when Sara first sees this Laurel, who explains that she' nothing like Sara's sister.
- Wiseguy. The Garment Trade story arc begins with a businessman asking for a loan from Rick Pinzolo, the son of a Mafia boss he knew. Pinzolo sets a much higher interest rate, and when the businessman protests that wasn't the arrangement he had with his father, Pinzolo states that With All Due Respect to his father, "as a businessman he was an idiot".
- Rosalyn the babysitter in Calvin and Hobbes pulls this at one point, after Calvin complains again and again that Mom does it differently.
Rosalyn: "I'M NOT YOUR MOM, ALL RIGHT?!"
- The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!— Galatea: "But you should know there's a significant difference twixt my sister and I. I understand how my claws work."
- A variant in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (after Terry starts fighting dirty).
Joker: "The real Batman never—" (grunts in pain)Terry: "Told ya you didn't know me."