This episode provides examples of:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Among his lists of ancient Earths character, Q lists The Crusades, The Spanish Inquisition, and Watergate.
- Auction: Quark hosts one for a group of the very rich to sell Vash's findings.
- Badass: "Picard never hit me!" It's not often that a human can surprise Q.
- Call Back: Miles briefly recaps the Next Gen episodes Captain's Holiday and Q-Pid for the others.
- Did You Just Punch Q?: Yes he did.Q: You hit me! Picard never hit me.
Sisko: I'm not Picard.
- Hit Me, Dammit!: Q, and he's rather surprised when Sisko takes him up on the offer (though gleefully remarks about how Sisko is easier to provoke than Picard, who even at his most annoyed never rose above sternly-worded rebukes).
- I Am Not Him: Q gets in a few digs about Sisko being inferior to Picard. Sisko has precisely zero interest in his mind-games, although Q does prove he's "easier to provoke".
- Ideal Illness Immunity: Q shows Vash (quite graphically) that "a tiny little insect" bite would have eventually killed her, if he had not been there.
- Oh, Crap: Miles' reaction when he realizes that Q is on the station.O'Brien: Bloody hell.
- One-Shot Character: This is the only episode of Deep Space Nine to feature Q.
- Technobabble: Q refers to it by name - the writers, who liked it about as much as the audience, relished the chance."Picard and his lackeys would have solved all this technobabble hours ago!"
- Whammy Bid: Q makes one at Quark's auction just to be a Troll.