Popular tropes from this time period are:
(Western) works that are set in this time period include: Comic Books
- Usagi Yojimbo does this better than most — Stan Sakai was born in Japan (though he moved to Hawaii at an early age), grew up watching chanbara movies and his comments in the back of the comic book collections show that he has indeed done research, and it shows.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles In Time
- The Last Samurai is technically about the very end of this period.
- Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado
- Which was actually an intentional parody of the British aristocracy set in Japan.
- Madame Butterfly
- Only with a very wide definition of medieval - it is set at late 19th or early 20th century, about the time it was written in.