- Teleological morality is the theory that actions should be judged by their results rather than by what principles they follow. The contrast is Deontology, the theory that actions should be judged by what principles they are based on rather than what results the actions have.
- Utilitarianism is the theory that the desirable results to aim for is to maximize the good and minimize the bad.
- Ethical Hedonism is the theory that the Good is happiness, pleasure, et cetera, while the bad is sorrow, suffering, et cetera.
|Macro||For Happiness * Chaotic Good * Neutral Good * Lawful Good * Free-Love Future||Totalitarian Utilitarian * Well-Intentioned Extremist * Utopia Justifies the Means|
|Micro||Safe, Sane and Consensual * Ethical Slut * Good Bad Girl * Chivalrous Pervert||The Hedonist * Chaotic Evil * Chaotic Neutral * For the Evulz * Lovable Sex Maniac * Sadist * Sex Is Evil and I Am Horny|
Tropes related to hedonistic morality include:
- The Useful Notes page on Ethical Hedonism.
- Good Macro
- For Happiness: Characters who believe in Ethical Hedonism and/or have a general desire to spread happiness.
- Chaotic Good: One common view on Lawful Good versus Chaotic Good is that Lawful Good is about good rules while Chaotic Good is about good consequences.
- Neutral Good: ...while Neutral Good is both.
- Lawful Good: However! While many Lawful Good characters disregard happiness in favor of duty, there are also those who think that a good rule is a rule that maximizes happiness while minimizes suffering. In other words, they are rule-utilitarians, while the Chaotic Good are action-utilitarians.
- Free-Love Future: In the future, everyone is an Ethical Hedonist / Ethical Slut.
- Good Micro
- Safe, Sane and Consensual: Do whatever you enjoy, but make sure to do it in such a way that you minimize the risk that someone comes to harm.
- Ethical Slut: Sex Is Good, but only if you handle it in an ethical way — without deceit, betrayal, etc.
- Good Bad Girl: A (gendered) ethical counterpart of Sex Is Evil and I Am Horny.
- Chivalrous Pervert: A (gendered) ethical counterpart of Sex Is Evil and I Am Horny.
- With Great Power Comes Great Perks: Enjoy your powers to improve your life and enjoy the perks. It isn't a rule that you must be a hero or a villain anyways...
- Bad Macro
- Bad Micro
- Bread and Circuses: When governments rely on hedonism to control the masses.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Giving the happiness of someone else a higher priority than one's own. Even a Narcissistic Hedonist might pull this one when really in love, while a Totalitarian Utilitarian will expand it to include pretty much anyone.
- Let Them Die Happy: Happiness is more important than truth, at least when knowing the truth makes no practical difference anymore.
- The McCoy: Hedonists frequently make up this part of a Freudian Trio, as they focus primarily on morality and emotion.
- Moral Dilemma: In utilitarian philosophy, every situation is a moral dilemma where one needs to figure out what course of action has the best consequences.
- Grey and Gray Morality: When utilitarianism is applied to reality, there's almost never one choice that's all good and one that's all bad. All options have pros and cons that must be weighed against each other.
- Blue and Orange Morality: When utilitarianism drifts off into a detached mathematical calculation of right and wrong, it can easily land in conclusions that seem, to most people, simply... alien.
- Sliding Scale of Unavoidable vs. Unforgivable: In utilitarian thinking, this can pretty much be a matter of mathematics.