Sometimes cats are overweight. This is usually due to their habit of eating, or their strong weakness. Unlike in Real Life
, castration (owners often need to encourage neutered toms to exercise and play) is very rarely the cause for this. Fat cats are usually Plucky Comic Relief
characters, though the occasional fat cat with an important role does come along some times. If there's a Crazy Cat Lady
around who actually hoards cats, expect at least one of them to be obese.
Most of the time, fat cats are not mean
, a common pet for villains
, or consider themselves to be better than humans
. Usually, the fat cat is a common domestic cat, but fat cats of any cat species can count.
Often prone to Cat Up a Tree
. Most definitely Truth in Television
. Not to be confused with those other kinds of fat cat
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The Princess Diaries: Mia Thermopolis's cat, Fat Louie. He gets his own first class plane seat reserved next to Mia at the end of the first movie.
- One of Disney's short films, "Lorenzo" had this as the haughty protagonist whose tail is brought to life, forcing him to cut it off when it becomes too much for him to handle.
- Gatto from Cat City.
- In Anger Management, the protagonist is working for an ad agency whose current job is to make clothes suited for fat cats and as such owns one by the name of Meatball (or "Fat-Shit Cat" according to his boss).
Live Action TV
- The Australian children's show Fat Cat and Friends.
- Glee: Brittany's cat is exactly what you'd expect from a cat named Lord Tubbington.
- Lasagna Cat, the parody of Garfield.
- This Nyan Cat video shows the Nyan Cat as one.
- Murphy from Neko the Kitty
- Mr. Fatty McFatfat from Shotgun Shuffle. Apparently Ellie has a habit of overfeeding animals—the squirrels in her back yard aren't much better.
- Disney has these:
- Puss in Boots in the fourth Shrek film, Shrek Forever After
- Mad Cat, Dr. Claw's cat from Inspector Gadget
- Oggy from Oggy and the Cockroaches
- Tiger from An American Tail
- Stimpy from The Ren & Stimpy Show
- Eek The Cat
- He even has a fatter girlfriend named Annabelle.
- And also Max Sr. from Atomic Betty.
- Buckley and Mrs Boots from Slacker Cats.
- Lion example: Larry from Father of the Pride
- Also, Mr. Right the housecat from the same show.
- Douglas's cat Mr. Chubbikins from Freakazoid!. Accidentally responsible for Douglas' transformation into the manic superhero by typing into his computer the key sequence which activated the overloaded Pinnacle chip that would turn him into Freakazoid.
- The main character of the Looney Tunes cartoon, "Tin Pan Alley Cats," who is a caricature of Fats Waller, is an example.
- Dodsworth is a Looney Tunes character with only two cartoons to his name - a fat, lazy cat who tried to con a little kitten into doing his work for him. He had a William Bendix voice but could easily be mistaken for Rodney Dangerfield.