Cut the Fuse
One way of demonstrating Implausible Fencing Powers (or even Improbable Aiming Skills) is combining it with Bomb Disposal: cutting (or shooting) the fuses. See also Wire Dilemma and Wrong Wire.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Rurouni Kenshin: Kenshin cuts the fuses off of the bombs Katsu throws at him. In another instance, he swings his sword so fast the wind blows out the fuses.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: King Bradley stops Fuu's Taking You with Me by cutting the fuses off the grenades strapped to Fuu's stomach.
- Ninja Scroll: Dukuan chucks his sake gourd at Zakuro, dousing her with it, then grabs a candle to light her up...only for a thrown knife to cut the wick. Oh, Crap.
- The Soviet action movie The Crown of the Russian Empire or The Elusives Again had this in the intro. One of the Elusives shoots the fuse to thwart a bomb on the rails before a moving train.
- In one Animorphs book, Ax stops an explosion by cutting the trail of black powder before the fire could reach the barrels of explosives. Unfortunately, when he cut the trail, his blade made a spark...
- Reality show Top Shot had one round where the contestants tried to shoot through a bomb's fuse to stop it from going off. It was one of the most difficult challenges on the show.
- Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Phryne shots a burning length of film that is being used as an improvised Powder Trail in "Framed for Murder". However, the burning film flips and lands on the piled celluloid, reigniting it.
- In a Terry and the Pirates strip, the Dragon Lady shoots through the fuse of an explosive that has been stuffed in Connie's mouth!
- One of the challenges in the Mad Dog McCree arcade game involved shooting the fuse off some dynamite to save the prospector.
- On the Game Over screen of the original Final Fight, you're tied up with a bomb next to you. Continuing means a knife drops in to cut the fuse.