A thing, accompanied by a smaller version of that thing, is always cute.How do you make an animal instantly cute and endearing? Have it being followed by babies. Usually these babies are miniature versions of the parent. Sometimes there's a runt at the end. One can make any kind of predator into a monster by targeting either the parent or one of the children. Strangely, however, even said predator can become cute once again if followed by babies of its own. Don't you dare get in between the mother and her children.
— #07 on Cute Overload's Rules Of Cuteness note
open/close all folders
Live Action TV
- Every creature in Spore.
- The Blooper Nanny in Super Mario Bros. 3.
- The Huffin' Puffins, a species of duck-like critters in Yoshi's Island, are generally followed by a line of smaller ones. You can bump off the parent and use the children as egg substitutes.
- World of Warcraft has a Plainstrider (a large flightless bird) named Mazzranache, who's followed around in Mulgore by three little ones that look like him.
- In Pikmin 2, Spotty Bulbears may be followed by Dwarf Spotty Bulbears. This isn't cute at all and only serves to make a Demonic Spider even more demonic. Bulbmin may also have smaller Bulbmin, but fortunately, you can get them to your side if you defeat the parent.
- In the "Blue Danube" segment of A Corny Concerto, a mother swan and her cygnets meet a little black duck.
- An episode of The Simpsons, had the fire truck rushing to a fire only to be delayed by a mother duck crossing the road with a lot of ducklings.
Apu: You ducks are really trying my patience!... but you're so cute!
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has scenes in both "Griffon the Brush-Off" and "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" where Fluttershy is seen helping a mother duck lead its ducklings. Unfortunately in the former episode, Gilda doesn't give a damn and scares them all away.