John Quale is a singer/songwriter, and creator of the stage character Prince Poppycock. The act started in 2006 when a friend asked Quale to sing at a nightclub in Los Angeles. The only catch was that he had to wear a wig. Cue Prince Poppycock's wild wig and whiteface makeup. Since then, Prince Poppycock has come into the world's attention when he performed on America's Got Talent.
John Quale and his stage character provide examples of:
- Beware the Nice Ones: This Camp Gay dandy will wow and amaze with his soulfully operatic performances, but buzz him during an important performance like Piers did and you can expect a tongue as sharp as his decorative eyelashes:Poppycock: "Well, I just wanted to say thank you to Piers. You see, I was promised a horse, but I only got two guys in horse heads, and so Piers intuitively understood that I needed a horse's behind!"
- Camp Gay
- When he came back to perform at a result show, while dressed as a phoenix, he actually said "Look at me, I'm flaming!"
- Costume Porn
- Double Entendre: His name. Say it slowly.
- Prince Poppycock. Prince Poppy C... Oh.
- Establishing Character Moment: One of Poppycock's first audition songs? Largo Al Factorum, i.e. one of the most freaking difficult arias to sing for a baritone. Piers' Fascinating Eyebrow midway through the performance tells you that he was not expecting that from the Prince.
- Everything’s Better With Rainbows
- Everything’s Better With Sparkles
- Even the Guys Want Him: All over the internet, you can find comments like "I think he's so sexy, and I'm a straight guy!!!"
- Fangirls/Fanboys: They’re called “the Poppies.”
- I Shall Taunt You: “What’s the matter Piers? You look like you’ve been sucking on a lemon.”
- "Well, I just wanted to say thank you to Piers. You see, I was promised a horse, but I only got two guys in horse heads, and so Piers intuitively understood that I needed a horse's behind!"
- Large Ham
- The Dandy
- The Runner-Up Takes It All: In ten years, no one is going to know Michael Grimm’s name.
- The Show Must Go On: Poppycock quoted it word for word when admitting he was under the weather for his first audition, but still gave it all he could despite straining his voice near the end of La Donna e Mobile.
- Weirder Than Usual: Where would the fans be without having seen the pink wig during the “Enough is Enough” performance with Donna Summers?
- What The Hell, Piers?: Safe to say the fans were both shocked and outraged at Piers voting down Poppycock's 2010 Quarter-Finals performance, and why? Because Poppycock supposedly fell into the trap of a contestant "taking himself too seriously", which rung rather hollow considering Piers pegged himself as the one to "discover" Jackie Evancho after her semi-final performance, which even Jackie herself frowned upon in a interview, admitting she appreciated the vote of confidence, but not liking how Piers seemingly ignored others' talents.
- Piers later admitted, ironically after Poppycock was eliminated in the semi-finals, that he looked back on having x'ed Poppycock and regretted why he did it.
''The Legend of Prince Poppycock'' provides examples of:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: He’s alone on the other side of the planet. He’s disillusioned. And he’s dirty!
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Falling into the Cockpit
- Green-Eyed Monster: Baron Nefarious, ever so much.
- Space Pirates
- World Gone Mad: When the Prince falls into the strange land called “Earth”, it suddenly seems he’s the Only Sane Man to be seen.