open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Sanji of One Piece will occasionally blow heart-shaped smoke rings whenever he's fawning over a lady.
- In the four-panel manga intermission "chapter" of Yotsuba&!, Torako blows a smoke ring after Yotsuba tells her where she's from. When Yotsuba asks where Torako is from, she starts giving directions, but Yotsuba wants her to blow a smoke ring in that direction.
Film - Animated
- On Peter Pan, Peter and the Indian Chief smoke a peace pipe after Peter rescues Tiger Lily. The rings they blow are triangular.
- Warren T. Rat from An American Tail blows rings shaped like dollar signs and jaws with sharp teeth.
- One of the crows blows rings a couple of times in Dumbo.
- The caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland blows smoke rings that seem to have a life of their own, and can also blow smoke letters. He also gives Alice a nice facefull of Second Face Smoke.
- A pipe-smoking skeleton in Corpse Bride emits heart-shaped smoke rings from his eye sockets.
- On Pinocchio, Honest John and Gideon are smoking cigars and drinking beer with the Pleasure Island coachman, and Gideon takes a smoke ring, dunks it in his mug and eats it.
Film - Live Action
- In Battleground, Kinnie does this spitefully, right into the faces of two Germans that came under white flag as part of the surrender parley.
- In The Lord of the Rings, Gandalf and Bilbo share some pipeweed and engage in a smoke ring blowing contest. Since Gandalf is a magical being, his "rings" become such things as full-masted tall ships.
- Done in the same fashion in The Hobbit.
- In Song of the South, Uncle Remus blows smoke rings with Br'er Frog. Being a Magical Negro (and the fact that it takes place in a cartoon segment), his smoke ring is square.
- In the famous slow-mo intro of Tim Roth's character in Reservoir Dogs, he is seen puffing out neat smoke rings in a flashback scene.
- The Mask. While the title character is in the park with Tina smoking a cigarette, he uses his magical powers to blow a smoke heart and then blows a smoke arrow (from his nose) to shoot through it.
- In one scene in The Thin Man, William Powell can be seen blowing smoke rings.◊
- Noted chain-smoker Heather (Janeane Garofalo) can do this in Romy and Michele's High School Reunion.
- In the 1943 film, The Outlaw, a cowboy blows a rather impressive smoke ring.
- In Young Mr. Lincoln, an overconfident witness starts blowing smoke rings while being cross-examined by Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln then catches him in a lie and badgers him into confessing to the murder.
- In The Long Voyage Home, a sailor on a merchant ship does this before getting underway, and then again when he's dying of a punctured lung.
- In Revenge of the Nerds, during the Lambda Lambda Lambda party, one of the Mus coaxes Lewis up to his room to have sex. Later, he's seen at the top of the stairs wearing a red Hugh Hefner robe, smoking a pipe and blowing smoke rings.
- In Mulholland Dr., Adam is blowing a smoking ring during the song rehearsal.
- Ben in Knocked Up is blowing smoking rings.
- Played for horror in Alien: Covenant. While on an alien planet, a crewman goes off for a quiet smoke and steps on some plants which release a cloud of spores. As he indulges in this trope, the spores sense the smoke and suddenly change direction in mid-air to swarm towards smoker and invade his body.
- In the fourth Discworld book, Mort, Death himself smokes an ornate pipe, and blows smoke rings with his eyeholes.
- In The Hobbit, Bilbo, Thorin and Gandalf love to blow smoke rings. Gandalf one-ups Thorin when he starts by having his smoke rings fly through the middle of Thorin's then come back to hover over his head while changing colour.
- In one of the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon books, there is a description of a party where two people are having fun one-upping each other with magical smoke designs.
Live Action TV
- At the end of The Twilight Zone (1959) episode "The Chaser", Professor A. Daemon - a purveyor of love potions - is shown blowing heart-shaped smoke rings.
- A sketch on the Russian sketch comedy show "Big Difference" (Большая разница) puts The Matrix in an early 1900's silent film, with a Chaplinesque Neo. When he first meets Trinity, dressed as a flapper, she blows a heart-shaped smoke ring from her cigarette holder.
- The Wizard of Id: One strip had the Turnkey blowing smoke rings. When the Spook compliments him on his, he comments that he had an uncle who could triangles and squares, but that his face exploded trying to do a parallelogram.
- A ghost also does this in the 1939 Merry Melodies cartoon, ''Jeepers Creepers".
- In the Looney Tunes short "Wholly Smoke", a boy teaches Porky Pig how to do smoke ring tricks, but when Porky tries them they go all wrong.
- In Tom and Jerry:
- Episode "Texas Tom", Tom greets a female feline by rolling a cigarette, lighting it with his six-gun, and blowing "HOWDY" in one breath.
- In another cartoon, Tom gives Jerry one last cigarette before his demise from a Rube Goldberg-type invention. Jerry blows out the number 8, just before the heavy object that's supposed to fall on Jerry falls on Tom instead.
- City Hunters communicates the Love Interest rejecting the protagonist in the first episode in several ways, including blowing a smoke "ring" of a heart, and then blowing an arrow to destroy it.
- Private Snafu: In "A Lecture on Camouflage", Snafu blows smoke rings while resting. The camouflaged Nazi stalking him blows smoke swastikas.
- In The Critic episode "Sherman, Woman and Child", Doris tries to show off her smoke ring talent to Jay, which comes out as a demonic looking face that tells her, "Doris... Tick, Tock!".
Doris: That was suppose to be a bunny.