"Marching Along, We're Adventurers,
Singing the song of Adventurers,
Up or Down,
North, South, East or West,
An Adventurer's Life is Best.
An Adventurer's Life is Best !
This is where you'll find the Lady of Adventure
, Adventurer Archaeologist
, Great White Hunter
and Gentleman Adventurer
all hanging out when they aren't out doing dangerous things. There's probably a bar, a roaring fireplace, and lots of easy chairs for people to sit around in. Expect animal heads and African masks hanging on the walls in terms of decor, as well as lots of globes and maps. (Possibly a library full of them.) Often the site of a Framing Story
, with one person sharing stories about his latest adventure and the others listening. Especially common in works set in the Victorian or Edwardian eras or a Steam Punk
universe, but they can be found elsewhere.
open/close all folders
- Batman: The Peregrinator's Club is an exclusive lounge for the wealthiest citizens of Gotham City. Originally used by adventurers and explorers, it later became home to the city's rich and affluent bluebloods.
- Monty Python's Flying Circus: The "Lost World of Roiurama" sketch has a scene in the British Explorers' Club.
- In the third episode of the American Thank God You're Here, Harland Williams won as an adventurer returning to his club after an expedition.
- In Eric Overmyer's play On the Verge, the three Ladies of Adventure often reminisce about good times at the Explorer's Club back home. Fanny, in particular, has a great monologue about the Foreign Queasine she gladly partook of last time she was there.
- The Virtual Exploration Society flavortext at the Museum of Unnatural Mystery Web site.
- Scrooge McDuck is a member of one of these.
- The "Super Adventure Club" in South Park is visually based on the Disney club, although it's actually an organisation of child molesters (and a thinly veiled strawman of the Church of Happyology). They do point that there is an "Adventure Club", but emphasizes that they are The "Super Adventure Club".
- Underdog: Commander McBragg's stories usually started and ended here.
- A few Snagglepuss cartoons on The Yogi Bear Show featured the major belonging to an adventurers' club
- In the Batman The Animated Series episode: ''Joker's Favor'' appears the Peregrinator's Club as an exclusive lounge for the wealthiest citizens of Gotham City. Originally used by adventurers and explorers, it later became home to the city's rich and affluent bluebloods. That would explain why on earth would the club had reconstructed a May Inca Tec temple, right down to re-poisoning the darts in the traps... at least in part. Remember that is a Gotham City club.
- Numerous, including:
- The Explorers Club in New York City.
- The Royal Geographical Society in 19th century England.
- And, the National Geographic Society, its American counterpart.
- The Trope Namer is the defunct restaurant at Walt Disney World.
- There is also the Society of Explorers and Adventurers or S.E.A. at Tokyo Disney Sea and soon, Hong Kong Disneyland.