Literature: Zellie Wells Trilogy
The Zellie Wells Trilogy is a Young Adult paranormal romance (without the vampires or werewolves) by Stacey Wallace Benefiel. The series consists of Glimpse, Glimmer and Glow.In Glimpse, Zellie, the pastor's daughter, has a humongous crush on Avery, the son of her mother's high school sweetheart. At her sixteenth birthday, Zellie has her first vision: of an older Avery covered in blood, and her pregnant.Zellie keeps her new-found powers a secret, although her and Avery's parents are quick to keep them apart. There's a reason though: her mother, Grace, has vision too, and this led to death in the past. However, when Avery's estranged mother goes to kill Avery's father, things become complicated.
This series provide examples of:
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: Zellie's grandmother left Grace due to suspicions from the townspeople. They end up making up during their reunion.
- Dangerous Sixteenth Birthday: Zellie gains her powers on her sixteenth birthday, which puts her into increasingly dangerous circumstances.
- Enter Stage Window: Avery climbs up to Zellie's bedroom window early in the story. They later leave to the park for their First Kiss.
- Ghost Shipping: Grace rekindles her first relationship with Avery's father's ghost.
- I See Dead People: Grace's power besides being a seer. She can also make love with them.
- I See Them Too: Avery, when Grace summons his dead father.
- Muggle Best Friend: Claire, although she isn't the protagonist.
- Parental Abandonment: Both of Zellie's grandparents from her mother's side died. Grandma is still alive. And a seer.
- Preacher's Kid: Zellie. While she's neither angelic or diabolic, her powers seem to send her father into a religious conflict.
- Second-Act Breakup: Avery ends up blaming his father's death on Zellie and they leave each other on bad terms.
- Seers: Zellie's primary power, but only of the future—and usually of something bad.
- Sex with the Ex: It turns out Grace and Avery's father had sex and conceived a child the night he died. It's also implied that they got at it even when he was a ghost.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: The story initially starts out with Zellie and Avery keeping their relationship together, despite their parents disapproval. It gets twisted after Avery's father dies and the relationship break up under hostiles pretense. After time cooling off though, it turns out they're meant to be together.
- Switching P.O.V.: Zellie is the main point-of-view, and the only 1st person narrator. Frequently, the narration switches to 3rd person for Avery, and occasionally Claire.
- Time Master: Zellie is a Retroact, with the power to rewind time within a certain area within a certain span of time.