Walk Two Moons
is a Newbery Medal
-winning young adult novel by Sharon Creech. It tells the story of Sal, an adolescent Native American girl who goes on a journey to find her mother. Along the way, she tells her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe and her relationship with her own mother.
Examples of tropes present in the novel:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: From Phoebe's report on Pandora: "Inside the box were all the evils of the world, such as hatred, envy, plagues, sickness, and cholesterol."
- Awesome McCoolname: Sal's full name is Salamanca Tree Hiddle.
- The Boo Radley: Mrs Cadaver
- Death by Newbery Medal: Gram. Also, Sal's mom actually dies before the beginning of the novel, but we don't find out until the end.
- Driving Question: Why did Sal's mother go away, and where is she now?
- Fish out of Water: Sal, after she and her father move to suburbia. She adapts relatively well, but she's considered a bit of a weirdo.
- Framing Device
- In Medias Res / How We Got Here
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Mike turns out to be Mrs Winterbottom's son. We also find out that Mr Birkway and Mrs Cadaver are brother and sister.
- The Nicknamer: Ben
- Unfortunate Name:
- Mrs Cadaver
- The Winterbottoms.