Literature: Walk Two Moons
Walk Two Moons is a Newbery Medal-winning young adult novel by Sharon Creech. It tells the story of Sal, an adolescent Native American girl who goes on a journey to find her mother. Along the way, she tells her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe and her relationship with her own mother.
Examples of tropes present in the novel:
- Accidental Misnaming: Gram and Gramps always refer to Phoebe as "Peeby".
- Affectionate Nickname: Gramps calls Gram his "gooseberry".
- Arc Words: "Don't judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccasins."
- Also, all the other mysterious notes contain aphorisms that get repeated throughout the novel.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: From Phoebe's report on Pandora: "Inside the box were all the evils of the world, such as hatred, envy, plagues, sickness, and cholesterol."
- Awesome McCoolname: Sal's full name is Salamanca Tree Hiddle.
- The Boo Radley: Mrs Cadaver
- Catch Phrase: Gramps says "This ain't our marriage bed, but it will do" every night before bed.
- Gram's "Huzza, huzza!"
- Death by Newbery Medal: Gram. Also, Sal's mom actually dies before the beginning of the novel, but we don't find out until the end.
- Driving Question: Why did Sal's mother go away, and where is she now?
- Fish out of Water: Sal, after she and her father move to suburbia. She adapts relatively well, but she's considered a bit of a weirdo.
- Framing Device
- Hero of Another Story: Mary Lou Finney, Sal and Phoebe's friend from school, is the protagonist of Absolutely Normal Chaos, which was written before this book but published in the U.S. afterward.
- In Medias Res / How We Got Here
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Mike turns out to be Mrs Winterbottom's son. We also find out that Mr Birkway and Mrs Cadaver are brother and sister.
- Maybe Ever After: For most of the book, Sal assumes that Mrs Cadaver is her father's new love interest. Although Margaret assures her that they're just friends, she doesn't completely shoot down the idea they might one day become more than that.
- The Nicknamer: Ben
- One Degree of Separation: Phoebe's teacher just happens to be the brother of her next door neighbour, and the cop she talks to is her half-brother's adopted father.
- The Reveal: Throughout the story, we're left wondering what happened to Sal's mother,Only to learn she tragically died in a bus crash, and the reason her father is so attached to Margret is because she was there trying to save Sal's mother, but was unable to do so.
- Unfortunate Name:
- Mrs Cadaver
- The Winterbottoms.