"There is nothing to fear except the power you give to your own demons."A young adult historical romance and thriller novel by Sally Garden set during the French Revolution, primarily between 1789-1792. In the midst of the turmoil, an orphan gypsy boy named Yann Margoza uses his special telepathic gift to help his troupe make a living performing magic shows. After stealing a red necklace at the house of a wealthy Marquis, not knowing its true significance but determined to find out, he has a brief encounter with young Lonely Rich Kid Sido de Villeduval, who is cruelly unloved by her selfish, vain father, the Marquis. The two cannot forget each other over the years after Yann is sent to England for an education. The Marquis eventually promises his daughter to the man he is in debt to, Count Kalliovski, whose true plans may be more than Yann, Sido, or their friends could've imagined.
Contains examples of:
- And Now You Must Marry Me: To Sido.
- Arranged Marriage: Marquis de Villeduval agrees to give his daughter Sido away to Count Kalliovski in exchange for erasing all his debts to the Count.
- Broken Bird: Sido's father is very nasty to her the few times he ever keeps her around, otherwise, he ignores her existence entirely and sends her away to school.
- Damsel in Distress: Sido is captured by Kalliovski at one point with no hope of escaping on her own.
- Evil Debt Collector: Count Kalliovski.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: A very creepy quote from the Count to young Sido:"I will be the first man to kiss you... To bed you... Whether you come willingly or not. You will be mine, and mine alone."
- Loan Shark: How Kalliovski gets control of people.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Sido.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Count Kalliovski is Yann's biological father.
- Nobility Marries Money: Or rather, the Marquis agrees to let the Count marry his daughter to get out of owing him money.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: Guillotines and gore, what else did you expect?
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: The Marquis, and many of his noble friends.
- Villainous Crush: Kalliovski wishes to marry Sido and lusts after her because she looks just like her beautiful mother who rejected him.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: When Kalliovski and Sido are introduced, he comments on what beautiful blue eyes she has.