Literature: The New Heroes
The New Heroes,
also known as Quantum Prophecy
Stateside, is a trilogy of novels by Irish author Michael Carroll. The books are set in a universe where superheroes and supervillains were commonplace until 10 years previously, when every one of them vanished. The books detail the adventures of the first of a new generation of hero's, Colin, Danny, and Reneta.
At times, the series subverts the conventions of the superhero genre but at other times gleefully embraces them.
The three books are:
- The Quantum Prophecy (The Awakening)
- Sakkara (The Gathering)
- Absolute Power (The Reckoning)
Also has Superhuman
a prequel series set 26 years before the events of book one.
These books provide examples of:
- Apocalypse How: Towards the end of book three, in order to stop a global conflict, Reneta freezes the entirety of the planet into diamond.
- Action Girl: Renata is a superhuman who defeats evil by turning into diamond. I believe she qualifies.
- Stephanie Cord is this, especially in the later books.
- Action Mom: Caroline continued to fight as Energy after she gave birth to Colin. Even after she loses her powers, she can still take care of her fair share of mooks, stand up to Dioxin and make everyone in Sakkara do his or her homework.
- Anti-Hero: Max Dalton is an Unscrupulous Hero throughout the first book.
- Artificial Limbs: Danny, after the first book and a half
- Badass Normal: Solomon Cord the Iron Man [Expy] counts.
- Razor is another example.
- Solomon's daughter Stephanie also qualifies.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": Titan has a large letter T on his chest.
- Cloning Blues: In the third novel, it is revealed that Yvonne and Mina are clones of Ragnarok.
- In the epilogue of the third book, [[Victor Cross has a room full of clones of Colin
- Dark Age of Supernames: Too many to mention, but the worst offender is probably shapeshifter Facade.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: Razor's real name is Garland Lighthouse. He won't tell anyone his middle name.
- Five-Man Band:
- Flying Brick Titan, formerly. Colin also develops the power of flight towards the middle parts of the third novel, along with his previous invulnerability.
- Full-Name Basis: Max is almost always referred to as Max Dalton by the narration. The characters however, usually use his first name.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Solomon Cord is definitelyone of these.
- Razor unexpectedly morphs into this from Sakkara onwards. He ends up being the driving designer behind the new Paragon armor and Danny's mechanical arm.
- Heel-Face Turn Yvonne, at the end of Sakkara.
- Human Popsicle: Renata was frozen as diamond for 10 years.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Razor is this, in book 1
- Knight Templar: Max Dalton believes that control is the best option for all.
- Knight Templar Parent
- Ordinary High-School Student: Colin and Danny, at the start of the books.
- The Obi-Wan: Sol, from the second book onward.
- Parental Abandonment: Everyone but Colin to some extent.
- Prophecy Twist: Danny does not lead an army of evil superhumans, but leads a group of them to freedom.
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock Facade who ended up stuck as Danny's Dad Quantum. It didn't work out too badly for him and he went on to raise Quantum's kid, have a child with Quantum's wife and pretty much be a much better dad to Danny than Quantum ever could.
- Stock Superpowers
- Superpowerful Genetics
- You're Not My Father: To poor Facade...