- Avengers Assemble: The lead has a mission, and purposely goes about assembling a team to get it done.
- Daring Rescue: The hero gets The Call when a Pursued Protagonist and/or Distressed Damsel crashes into their life and asks for help. This method tends to combine well with the others listed here, with the Pursued Protagonist crashing into a classroom, or The Hero using Avengers Assemble to gather a rescue party.
- Come with Me If You Want to Live: As above, but the hero is initially the person in danger rather than the rescuer.
- Seen in: Terminator
- Debut Queue: Each character is met and run into separately and consecutively in the Magnetic Hero's Journey. Sometimes each new character brings more into the fray because it's a Character-Magnetic Team, leading to a Cast of Snowflakes. Sometimes it happens because Defeat Means Friendship as the hero is just that sympathetic.
- Everyone Went to School Together: The characters are all classmates, part of the same military unit, or are a family and knew each other well before the events of the story. So when one of them gets The Call, they all choose to make it a conference call. However, it's not uncommon for them all to share the same fate/destiny and get the call simultaneously, something an older character may have wanted to ensure by putting the future protagonists together for this purpose... when it isn't some vague force of fate doing it, that is.
- Geographical Convenience: All the cast meets in a single location, be it an inn, prison cell or a deserted island, having never seen or met each other before. Normally, they may never have chosen or considered working together, but are forced to by circumstance.
- Welcome Episode: Sometimes most of the team has already been assembled by one or more of the above factors, and the remaining character(s) enter the storyline in their own special episode (or just in the very first episode).
- Sealed Cast in a Multipack: Have the cast put itself together by finding and unsealing characters who were sealed away.
Just For Fun / How to Gather Characters
Okay, you know how many characters you want in your cast, what roles they'll play, and even picked out a color scheme for each! But how do you gather them into a cast? Here's a few ways writers use to bring together their diverse cast: