- The clacks operators honor Miss Dearheart's brother by sending his name on the clacks, with a code attached that means the message will just keep going up and down the Grand Trunk, forever. "You know how they say a man is never dead while his name is being spoken?"
- Anghammarad (a golem), having tried its damnedest to save letters from a fire, is hit by cold water. Cold water + red-hot clay = explosion. When it ends up in the desert before the afterlife, Death informs it that the afterlife is on the other side.
Anghammarad: I Will Stay Here, Please.
Death: Here? There's nothing to do here.
Anghammarad: Yes, I Know. It Is Perfect. I Am Free.
- Earlier, when the postmen are leery about letting golems join them, Anghammarad tells them the story of how he has been a messenger for nineteen thousand years, and Moist says to the postmen "And you will decide if he is a postman?" They end up giving him the title of Extremely Senior Postman.
- During the night, Moist is tormented by a vision of a farmer Driven to Suicide by his first scam. The next morning, he's greeted by an ecstatic couple. The letter he delivered the previous day was a marriage proposal and the lady said yes. The guy hands him a pack of wedding invitations, a handful of coins, and says "I'm so glad you're back in bussiness!"
- The hints that Sacharissa and William got married.
- Moist's confession to Miss Dearheart of having been the con man who cost her the job at the bank in Sto Lat — the confession that leads her to help him defeat Gilt's Grand Trunk.