open/close all folders
Jim Perry (1978-81)
- July 20, 1978: "Do you think you could do a better job hosting Card Sharks than Jim Perry?"
- January 2, 1979: G2-T2 (the question holder) had a little too much fun for New Year's...
- January 2, 1980: G2-T2 shows up with a post-New Year's hangover yet again.
Jim: I told you at that New Year's party, I TOLD YOU...battery fluid and STP doesn't mix, but no...
- September 1980: Gene Rayburn attempts to hit on one of the dealers during the Game Show Hosts Tournament.
- November 19, 1980: Bill Daily, while playing a Celebrity Edition, got a Queen as his first card of Game 1. He opted to change it, getting an 8 in its place and snark from Perry: "Hey, Minnesota Fats, you now have the worst card in the deck!" He ended up running the board and stunning opponent (and fellow The Bob Newhart Show cast member) Marcia Wallace.
Wallace: What sort of craziness is this?! He changed a Queen and he won?!
- December 1980: During a children's week, a player starts the Money Cards with $8,040.
- February 1981: Jim makes fun of Richard Dawson, complete with massively-outdated Family Feud picture (showing the original 1976-77 buzzers).
Bob Eubanks (1986-89)
- Early 1986: This contestant's answer to a survey question.
- October 30, 1986: Just before a contestant plug, Lacey Pemberton thought Eubanks was Rafferty, calling him "Bill" before realizing her error.
- Ten GLOW wrestlers are asked if they think they can lift Bob over their head...and Mt. Fiji decides to prove it.
- An ostrich was brought on set at one point, for some reason, and briefly managed to escape and roam around the set.
- This question where people were interviewed on the street and shown a photo of Eubanks asking people if they could identify him. It... didn't turn out so well.
- This trainwreck of awkwardness for this question- capped by Gene Wood shouting from off-camera "Wait a minute, don't forget the teeth and hair!"
- March 31, 1989: A couple from the Grand Finale.
Bill Rafferty (1986-87, Nighttime)
- 1986-87: During a Young People's Week, a male contestant uncovered a prize card for Victorian dolls, which he went on to win.
Rafferty: What every boy wants. Every boy knows his room is incomplete without Victorian dolls. I can remember when I was a youth, I used to come home from baseball practice, and go "I can't wait to put the petticoats on."
- 1986-87: "Do you think rock star Madonna is sexy?" An elderly contestant named Maurynote gives his reasoning:
Maury: I've seen, uh... a couple of times. I don't even know what he does! Does he sing or dance? I don't think he's sexy, I don't think a lot of men would.
Rafferty: Maury, go to the record store, pick up an album. Check it out.
Pat Bullard (2001)
- Late 2001: While explaining how the Money Cards work, Bullard would note that the contestant could change the base card. Now, this typically (but not always) led into Pat asking "You know why?", then saying "Because I'm a nice guy.", which wasn't really funny. In one case, he swapped it out with "Because I want you to go on a honeymoon." for an engaged contestant. In this case...
Bullard: Just to make it easier, Laizer, we're gonna let you change the first card. You know why?
Laizer: Because that's the rules of the game?
Bullard: I'll smack you, Laizer, I'm not kidding. (audience laughs some more) Yes it's the rules of the game! Let's see his first card, Tammi!
Play Your Cards Right with Bruce Forsyth
- 2002: At the end of an awful run at the Cash Cards, Brucie drops the final card and stomps on it.
- Even if it happened on Have I Got News for You, Play Your Iraqi Cards Right definitely qualifies. They originally were gonna call it Play Your Kurds Right, but they felt that was a bit too much of Crossing the Line Twice.